new home | Teen Ink

new home

By brkherbst11 BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
brkherbst11 BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma

There were no warnings or signs, it just happened. Who knew, the moment where my life would change would occur at school? We were in the middle of a power point when the power completely shut off. No electricity, whatsoever. I mean it was 10:00 A.M, so we could all still see. Literately 2 minutes later Benton’s and my phone went off. It was the same message, it was a group text between his parents and mine. In all caps, it told us to leave the school immediately, not to ask questions, and go get our younger siblings from the lower schools. Neither of us had any plausible explanation coming to mind. For a couple of minutes we whispered back and forth about ways to leave the school in the middle of a blackout, and we finally decided on the “run as fast as you can” method. On the count of three we bolted out of the class and to his car. As soon as we pulled out of the parking lot, we passed multiple speeding cops head straight for the school. We had made it out just in time. Thankfully the police had only made it to the high school, so we both checked out our siblings and left for his house. When we got there our parents were packing the cars with camping gear and food mostly. As soon as we set foot outside the car, we got orders barked at us, and without asking questions we did as we were told. With the sun setting behind us, Benton and our parents cars drove through the crazed streets of the small city. People were crowding the car and freaking out. It was like everyone was possessed by an evil spirit. Less than eight hours ago, everything and everyone were normal, and for some reason we were immune, no one in either of our families were acting like these baboons. It had me wondering for a while but it eventually clicked, both and my parents were in the medical field and could have easily knew the outbreak was coming and gave us medicine that wasn’t available to the public. It felt like we drove for days, but in reality it was only a few hours. Darkness still surrounded us when we arrived and I could barley make out my surroundings. Our parents spoke in hushed voices to Benton and me, because the younger kids were sleeping. Out of the speech gave us I only caught a few words: forever, really bad outbreak, nothing to worry about, new home. Our “new home” was a tent in the middle of the woods. This new was also my new life. A new life that was completely foreign to me, but only the strong survive, and I was strong.

on Mar. 12 2013 at 2:28 pm
readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

It's good how this piece hooks you right from the beginning, but it's almost too fast to process or be surprised by anything else.  Honestly, there's nothing really shocking or exciting about it, everything just happens.  Still, it's well written, but I think it just needs more, and a twist at the end would not be ill-advised