The Room | Teen Ink

The Room

By sarahbear1500 BRONZE, Fox Point, Wisconsin
sarahbear1500 BRONZE, Fox Point, Wisconsin

Breathe.

What am I doing here? What happened? One second I was eating lunch at my kitchen table and now I’m here. At least I have my watch. What time is it? 11:30 P.M.; not bad it’s only been 12 hours. What, this can’t be right, it’s January 3rd, 2013, but it was December 15th, 2012! What happened?!? If only I could get the lights on, then I could tell where I am. Okay and I’m standing up. Woah why am I so off balance? I’m walking around. Got it! Finally, I can tell where I am. The room is empty, there are no doors, but how could I have gotten in here? I don’t understand. Why am I here? How did I get here? Who put me here? Maybe I can just wait it out. Maybe the walls will slide open or something. Maybe if I just go back to sleep everything will be okay.

How long did I sleep? January 4th, 2013, 1:00 P.M. That’s impossible there is no way I slept that long. Who turned the lights back off? Someone or something has to be keeping me here. If only I could just get back to the light switch... Well, I went to sleep right under it so it must be right above me. It’s gone! That’s impossible! I must have rolled around in my sleep. I’ll check the whole room; it has to be somewhere. Nope, it disappeared, the switch is gone. How is that possible? Wait there is something on the wall over here. I can just use the light on my watch to figure it out. A mirror. What do I need a mirror for in a dark, doorless, room? There must be a reason that it is here, right? Hey, the mirror opens, but all that’s inside it is food.
11/30/12 The wall behind it is completely sealed off, no buttons, no secret holes, nothing. What is going on here? Am I even on Earth? Can I get out of here somehow? I need to eat as far as I can tell I haven’t eaten in almost three weeks. What have they given me? Turkey sandwich, pickle, and chips; seems okay. If I eat it I could pass out though, it could be drugged. Oh well, after all, falling asleep is better than starving to death. I won’t eat all of it just a couple bites. One. Two. Three. I’m fine, I told you self. Nothing happened I’m perfectly fine. I feel drowsy and dizzy. Uh oh! Soon enough I will fall asleep. I knew I shouldn't have eaten the sand-

Why did I do that? I knew the food was going to be drugged! The room is different again; there are torches that give off some light. I will pick one up and see what else has changed in here. Everything else seems the same. OH MY GOSH! There’s a girl in here! She’s asleep, but she is waking up. She is looking at me strange. I think she is about to say something.

Beep, Beep, Beep! I had it again; the dream. Every night this week and right before the girl talks I wake up. What can it mean? I must be going crazy! I can’t tell anyone. Especially my parents because knowing them they will send me to some sort of doctor for crazies. Whatever, I don’t have time for this, I have to go to school. No more thinking, I just have to go through the motions; get dressed, eat breakfast, go to school. Again, and again. Day after day. I just have to be normal. That’s my only option after all; normal.

So basically, this piece is about a recurring dream a girl keeps having.