Life in a mirror | Teen Ink

Life in a mirror

February 18, 2013
By Nanas SILVER, Council Bluffs, Iowa
Nanas SILVER, Council Bluffs, Iowa
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
~The only thing greater than knowledge is imagination~


It was like any other typical afternoon. Malika and I were walking home from school together. The whole time she was constantly talking about Ethan Johnson. She had been crushing on him since the first grade, but she never had the courage to tell him. I really had no interest in boys. I was more busy with events like softball and show choir. As she blabbed on and on about her obsessive crush, something metallic-like, reflecting the sun, caught my eye. I didn’t even realize I had stopped.
“Are you okay? What’s wrong?” Malika questioned my silence while staring at me like I was a complete lunatic.
“ Yeah, I’m fine. Look over there. Do you see something in that bush?” I pointed toward the park across the street where a clump of bushes were.
“ What is it?” she asked as if she had the least bit of care for it. I walked toward the mysterious object. As we moved the thorny branches aside, we discovered it was an antique body mirror.
“Why would this be here, anyway? It’s just an old mirror.” Malika said shrugging her shoulders. I felt like it wasn’t just any old mirror. There was something more to the puzzle, I just didn’t know what. I could tell Malika wanted to leave, but she stood there waiting for me. As I studied it for a few more seconds, my reflection changed to a totally different person. A girl , about my age, was crying.
“Malika, look at this. Hurry!” I shouted in a panic. There was no answer. I turned and saw she was already down the street, going home. She was the kind of person who really didn’t care about many things. I rolled my eyes and looked back at the girl in the mirror. She was signaling me to go with her. I didn’t know what to do. She put her hand right on the glass. I put mine right on hers. She closed her eyes, so I followed and did the same. When I opened them, I wasn’t looking at her through a mirror anymore. She was standing right in front of me. I also noticed I wasn’t where I was a moment ago.
“What’s going on?” I panicked. She just stood there smiling. The tears had left marks on her face.

“Thank goodness you’re here!” She yelped as she hugged me.
“Wait a minute,” I began while stepping back from her. “What do you mean by that? What just happened? And where am I?” I blurted out, realizing I was in a large bedroom with elegant furniture and a fireplace next to the dresser.
“It didn’t work!” she cried out. Her eyes filled with tears again. I couldn’t understand what was going on, but all I knew is it looked like this girl needed help.
“What didn’t work?” I tried to be calm and not freak out about what all just happened.
“You were supposed to remember when I reversed the spell.” she said holding back her tears. Now I was just getting so confused, I was getting a migraine.
“ What in the world are you talking about? Who are you anyway?” I asked.
“My name’s Elizabeth, and here in this world, you’re my mother.” I had no clue what to say. I just sat there speechless. I didn’t even know what to think.
She started to explain that when she was born, I was tricked by a sorceress and was sent into a totally different world in the future. The king, who should be my husband, tried everything to get me back, but he couldn’t. Elizabeth finally found an old spell to bring me back.
“ This is a lot to process,” I said walking to the other side of the room.
“Are you mad at me?” she asked. I turned to her and shook my head.
“ I just need to find a way to get back. I can’t stay here. You have the wrong girl.”
“But, you just can’t leave.” She stood up from the bed.
“I’m sorry. I can't’ help you. You must have me mixed up with someone else.” I left her room and walked outside. I was scared, I didn’t know if she Was telling the truth or not, but then I realized another problem. How do I get home?




To Be Continued...