01000111010001010101010000100000010011110101010101010100 | Teen Ink

01000111010001010101010000100000010011110101010101010100

By yuuma SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey
yuuma SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey

I rushed down the stairs with two cups of hot tea and peered through the slightly ajar door. In my small room were two of my good friends. I handed Alexis the cup, and sat down on the chair next to the computer with mine. Michael rummaged in his large and took out a can of Mt. Dew. While noticing Alexis trying to get my attention, I accidently burned my hand against the hot cup.
“Hey, Jae, I need to tell you something,” the tiny girl mumbled. She was about five foot and had an extremely frail figure. I was always amazed how could so much enthusiasm fit in such a small creature. “You know how Mike sees things?”
“Yes,” I replied.
“I do too,” whispered Alexis. I wasn't really surprised this time. At first when Mike told me about his schizophrenia, I was extremely worried, and did much research. At the end I realized he wasn’t going to disappear. He told me that he sees and hears odd things, which went on for about all of his life. He also said that lately it has been only one character. This unnerving figure was called Louis. He was a tall french guy who gave Mike a hard time. Sometimes he took over his body and did things Mike wouldn’t usually do. When he changed, his voice would go deeper and he started to become extremely mean and childlike. While I was tolerant of this, I was still worried. Now that he became friends with Alexis, they have more things in common. This thought however depressed me.
“Do you have a person too?” I asked.
“Yeah, her name is Liza.” Alexis added.
“Oh that’s neat. Good thing you go to the same sch-” I started.
“They’re kind of in love.” said the girl.
“Huh?” I asked.
“Yeah. Louis and Liza are dating apparently.” concluded Alexis.
“Woah. Guys, doesn’t Mike have a girlfriend already?” I wondered.
“Yeah, I do. But she understands. I can’t control myself anyway.” announced Mike.
“Sure then,” I said. As soon as I resumed my internet duties, my brother knocked on the door.
“Alexis’s mother is here,” said Jacob. Alexis picked up her fancy bag and said her goodbyes.
“Thank you for not freaking out” thanks Mike. He now stretched out on my bed. While he took up the majority of my bed, it was still not enough for him. Compared to the fragile Alexis, Mike was tall and muscular, but surprisingly more quiet and serious.
“Sure thing. But you know me. I never freak out about anything.” I said. And, thus we spent the afternoon drawing unusual things like we usually do. His artistic skill was a match to mine even though it was quite different. For me, art was the erasure of boredom, but for him it was a calming to the nerves. At about eight, he got a call from his dad informing him about him being picked up soon. He picked up his laptop and shoved it in his bag.
“Is that everything? Because you always forget something at my house. Which is cool I guess. But, still..” I stated.
“Do you have a lighter,” he said with a suddenly even more serious and lower voice.
“What?” I asked.
“Do you have a lighter I said” he repeated.
“I did have one somewhere. Let me just find it.” I announced while searching. Failing to find it, I turned to him, “ Sorry, Mike, I can’t find it. Wait, why do you need it anyway?”
“Not your business,” declared the boy.
“It is my business. You’re my friend. Wait no, that’s not right,” I observed.
“Yes.” concluded he.
“What do you want now, Lous?” I asked.
“I am in need of your help,” stated Lous.
“What?” I questioned.
“Liza and I are getting married,” announced Louis.
“You what?” I wondered.
“We are getting married.” repeated the man.
“How is that even possible? You’re hallucinations!” I exclaimed.
“We’re not. We are ghosts. And we have been killed at our wedding. We need to reenact said event in order for us to leave. But to do so, we must get full control over the kids. Help me persuade them.” confessed Louis.
“I..If this helps you to leave them alone, I’ll help.” I concluded.

“Thank you.” I said. And as Louis left Mike, I tried to talk to him about what he said. He surprisingly obliged to the agreement.
When Liza and Louis were assembled at a church, with many guests, I realized it is my friends who are signing the contracts. At the ghost wedding, Liza could be seen going down the aisle in a beautiful wedding dress. As, the priest was saying the usual speech, and the couple said their vows, I noticed something. Nothing has happened. The ghosts did not leave the bodies of the poor children.

“Why aren’t we leaving?” asked Liza.

“Can’t you see dear? We now have human bodies and can do whatever we want.

“But.. I...I don’t want to live. All I wanted was to be with you.” stumbled Liza.

“But..” started Louis.

“You promised. And besides, you’ve already seen the 21st century. And you have no goals.” I concluded.
“Thank you. Thanks all of you.” thanked Liza. The moment she finished her last word, both of them fell on the ground and collapsed. This would be the last day Mike and Alexis would have to deal with ghosts.

The title means "Get Out" in Binary Code.