Transgressions

It's dark. The moon just barely shines through the canopy of leaves above, daring me to look for more than a glimpse of light... as though if I try I might be swallowed up by the darkness entirely. The light mocks me. It is not my friend, it never has been.

Except that it's cold, now, and rain has started to pour from the sky in a vengeance. My skin breaks out in a million goosebumps and my hair is plastered to my face and neck. I raise my eyes to the sky and wonder why the trees don't block the rain, too.

I am alone. I have always been alone.

The icy droplets now cover my skin thoroughly. My wings fall to either side of me, suspended in the chilly air and heavy with moisture. They add to the weight I feel pressing down on me, an eternity of fiery demise with no hope of ever reaching the sun. Nothing burns like darkness, though they say the sun burns.... They do not know that stars like that are very much alive, and it is only when they fall that they burn.

I see a shooting star pass by overhead. Another misery added to the flames of eternal damnation.

I only feel the cold now as I choose to believe it is there. And though it is not real I can almost imagine the water on my skin, the light of the moon, however brief. For I am trapped in this place, in this Nothingness, alone and tormented for my transgressions.

It is dark, yes, and it is cold. But I welcome the cold.
The light does reach me finally, by the passing of a single soul. It winks out of existence in less than a second, replaced at once by my fictitious moon. A soul on its way home, where light is eternal, and not this darkness.

The light mocks me, yes. It is not my friend. But once it could have been...

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:17 am:
I really like this. The descriptions are really good. The one unsolicited critique I have is that your second sentence is a bit long and confusing. This is really well done and captivating.

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm :
Haha, thanks so much for your advice! I'll take it into consideration :)

Vampriss said...
Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:03 pm:
I Love this story. And I would love tobe your friend! I am a very open person. Everyone is my friend.

Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:10 pm :
Definitely :) and thanks for commenting!!!

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:17 pm:
  This is so sad, but very good. I don’t really know how to explain it, but I sort of felt like I was there as I read it. It’s such a powerful poem.

Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:19 pm :
Thank you so much! Maybe because its about an angel imagining a scene that's not really there, which is what you're doing when you read poem? Idk.. Thank you for commenting on so many of my poems:)

IMSteelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm:
Beautifully written, and to the point.  Good job!

Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:48 pm :
Thank you very much! ;)

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:52 pm:
Super good! I loved the details and it was beautifully written. :)

Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm :
Lol, I actually meant to say "to betray a child" but I was distracted and said "transgressions"... Nice to get feedback on this one too, though! Thanks:)

E.J.Mathews This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:06 am:
Loved it! Your imagery was amazing, and I was intrugued by the story. Amazing work!

Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:50 am :
Thank you. This is what happens when I'm bored in English:)