Animal Extinction, Obesity & Extinction | Teen Ink

Animal Extinction, Obesity & Extinction

It was the year 2080, there wasn't a lot of animals left on Earth because everyone has turned into carnivores just 30 years ago. The animals have been reproducing slower because of that. Families were limited on how much meat they can eat within a month and if they try to steal animals they will be prosecuted. But my family and I are omnivores and have been since I was born. We've been omnivores for 16 years already.

Those fast food restaurants in the past have really made a big impact on our society because ever since people have been trying it, they've become addicted to just meat and stopped eating plants whether it was fruits or vegetables. More than 100 people have been dying every day due to starvation or it could be because of obesity, no one really knows. Maybe if more people realize that plants are healthier than meat, they wouldn't have a fear of dying due to starvation or obesity.

I have a best friend, but she doesn't like plants, she’s like everybody else. I try to convince her into eating not only meat, but plants, but she still refuses. I met up with her today and I tried to convince her again.

“Hey you!” I yelled behind Faith.

“What’s up?” Faith asked.

“Have you heard about what’s been happening lately?” I questioned.

“No why?” She said.

“Well... a lot of people have been dying recently due to starvation…” I explained.

“So, what you think I’m going to die as well?! She screamed.

“I mean you don’t have to eat only meat, you can also eat plants like my family and I.” I told her.

“You know I hate plants right?” She stated.

“I know but I don’t want to see you starving and plants are much healthier for you!” I yelled with concern.

“You’re telling me that I’m not healthy? How can you say that? We've been friends since preschool! Who do you think you are telling me all of this? You know what, I have to go. See you later.” She replied with anger.

I thought to myself “You mean a lot to me and yet you can’t see what I see. You assume I’m the bad person. As your best friend I know what’s best for you and seeing you starve isn't a good thing. If you end up dying like those other people I would blame it on myself for not convincing you enough to eat plants.”

She left me all alone standing there with nothing else to say. I went home and told my parent’s what happened.

“MOM! DAD!” I yelled crying.

“What, what?” They asked with concern.

“Faith and I gotten into an argument again.” I explained.

“What happened?” They asked.

“I just wanted to help her and seeing a lot of people starve makes me thinks she’s going to become like them and I told her how I feel about her starving and not eating enough. I told her to eat some plants just like us. But she refuses.” I stated.

“Well, honey, you can’t tell anyone what to do if you know they don’t want to.” My Dad said.

“That’s true sweetie, you shouldn't assume that she’ll cave in to you convincing her.” Mom told me

“I know it’s just I wish she would.” I complained.

I go to my bedroom because it seems like everyone's against me. I care for a lot of people and I'm just trying to help but no one wants my help. I try to be a good person but to other people I'm the bad guy. Why can't people see through my perspective, all I want to do is help. I write everything that just happened into my diary. I write in my diary when I'm angry. I'd take it out through words rather than to people. Writing just makes me feel happy. I end up crying myself to sleep with my diary and pencil in my hand.

One week later. There are more and more people suffering. More animals reproducing much slower. Scientist estimated that they will only last only a month in this world. They don’t know what to do, everyone is panicking and thinking they’ll die. People are also killing themselves because of it.

I'm sitting on my couch forcing food into my mouth. I'm feeling sad, mad, confused, and angry. So many feelings I just don't know what I'm feeling. There's a loud knock on the door. I didn't want to get up so I stayed where I was. The knock kept getting louder and louder then there was yelling.
“I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE! OPEN UP BEFORE I BREAK INTO YOUR HOUSE!” Faith demanded
“IT'S FAITH! But I can't open the door she's mad at me and I'm mad at her.” I thought to myself
“I'm serious Ren!” Faith yelled.
“Go away!” I yelled.
“No! Open the door you fool!” Faith said.
“NO! Go away before I call the cops.” I told her.
“Be my guest, I'm not going anywhere.” She pleaded.
I know that Faith will wait, even if it takes 10 years, even if she dies on the spot. I've known her for that long and I know how she is.
“Okay! Fine! Hold on!” I said to her.
I walk to the door and look through the window.
“What do you want?” I asked with a rude tone.
“Oh nothing, I just wanted to say hi.” She joked.
“Hi.” I said with no emotion.
I close the curtain and walk away.
“Come back! I need to talk to you about something.” She said with a concern voice.
I go back to the door, I don't let her in I walk pass by her and sit on the stairs.
“What do you want?” I questioned
“I want to take you up on your offer” Faith told me
“What are you talking about? What offer? We never talked about an offer.” I said confused.
“Yes you did” She yelled.
“I don't recall.” I stated.
“Stop playing with me.” She said.
“I guess. But what're you talking about?”
“Remember before we got into an argument you were telling me to stop being a carnivore but to become an omnivore.” She explained.
“Oh, that. What about it?” I questioned
“I don't want to be a carnivore anymore! I want to be an omnivore now!” She demanded.
“Really?! Why? What changed your mine?” I asked excitedly.
“Well, I thought about it, but I had to talk to some of my friend and family about it. They all agreed to become omnivores. So, it's not only me, it's a lot more people.” She explained.
“That’s great! But how are we going to tell EVERYONE to turn into omnivores as well?” I asked.
“HELLO! There’s technology! Use the internet, radio, TV ads, news anything. But make sure people notice.” She had said.
“Great idea!” I shouted.
We both made posters and ads, soon my family pitches in and calls the radio, news and billboards even update their status on Facebook telling other people about our awesome idea. They tell us that it’s a good idea, but it’ll cost us a few hundred dollars. I thought to myself “Money is nothing to me if people are dying, I’m here to save tons of people.” I felt really good about it.
Day past and my ideas still aren't out there. I played a good amount of money for that.
A week later, I finally here my idea on the radio. Soon it was on TV and billboards. More and more people have been actually reading and listening to my idea.
A month later, people aren't starving anymore, people aren't as greedy as they were, and people weren't killing themselves any longer. Animals are reproducing normally. People are happy and satisfied and me, I’m famous but I’m happy for what I did.