The Girl On The Island With No Exit | Teen Ink

The Girl On The Island With No Exit

January 10, 2013
By M.R.Mapixle GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
M.R.Mapixle GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
17 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate












---Murphy's law


She stood on the edge of the island, her island. The clouds moved slowly in a crowd of gray, blocking the sun and sending a chill wind to play with the trees. The forest of pine and oak and palm trees whispered, the sound like a ghost guarding its house. The girl stared out across the ocean with gray eyes that hid fear. Summer was drawing to a close, and the day she dreaded every year was drawing ever closer.


It was a wonderful afternoon, with the sun high up in the sky like some kind of fire just floating among the clouds. The wind was gentle, playfully blowing at peoples’ hair and bringing the salty smell of the sea onto land. Spectators on the beach watched as the newly bought boat sailed out across the sea.

Onboard the Zipster, the ship, was Stark Lightan with his father’s crew. The careless boy was quite tall for his ten years, with a mess of brown hair that hung over his eyes and dangled by his ears. He had his father’s bright blue eyes, though they were alight with a different light of mischief. He was leaning on the railing of the ship, watching the shore grow smaller as the boat sailed ever on.

Sailing wasn’t Stark’s favorite activity, but he didn’t hate it. The fact that they were on a mission to find a mysterious island that no one had actually escaped from was interesting enough. However, spending hours watching the same calm water and feeling the same smooth ride was enough to bore him into a state of craziness. With a sigh, he went off in search of his father, otherwise known as the captain.

He found him gazing out at the sea from his cabin, his eyebrows furrowed slightly. Stark walked over and stood beside his father, looking out at the approaching mass of gray clouds.

“ We’re almost there, son,” the captain said. “Better warn the crew.”

Before he could reply, though, the ship suddenly stopped while tipping over to one side slightly. When the ship had straightened, both men rushed to the deck. Rain fell from the clouds like the water from a waterfall. The captain quickly began to shout orders. The howling wind snatched his words and flung them out to the sea, however. Terrified they would all sink, Stark ran around as his father’s messenger. Just as he was running up to the sailor’s wheel, a large wave smashed against the boat. Stark was knocked off his feet and went flying off the ship. The cold, harsh water swallowed him, and he found himself being tossed around by the restless waves, rolling and tumbling freely. He thrashed about, struggling to find up, struggling for air. Suddenly, he broke through the surface of the ocean, gasping for air. The waves hurled him forward, and he felt sand scratching his arms and legs. Then the world went black.


She walked around the prison of an island. Beyond, she could see the rain and waves dancing to a wild song, rage and pleasure woven within its lyrics. Inside, the island was a peaceful refuge, if only for a short while. Not wanting to think of the pain and sorrow that awaited her, she concentrated on the rough sand shifting below her feet. For a while she walked, until she nearly tripped over something.

Turning, she saw with horror that it was a boy. He seemed to be only ten, with locks of brown hair that looked like a mop on his face. His clothes were soaked, his arms scratched at places. She stared, her heart beating franticly.

NO, no, no! Not again, not now, please, he’s just a boy. Why not an old man, someone who has already spent his years? The same words, like a prayer each year for a thousand years, raced through her head.

Shivering, she knelt by the boy and stared at him. So young, so innocent. Just like Josepher, a thousand years ago, and perhaps still now. She shook her head, wanting to rid herself of the image, the memories. The boy stirred, then sat up so abruptly that she jumped up and back in surprise. For a moment, they stared at each other.

“ Who are you? Where am I?” Stark demanded.

She stared, pity in her eyes. Same thing, every year.

“ The island of Sorrow, or Ending, or Forever. I’m sorry, but you’ll be staying here for the time being.” Then she ran, into the woods where the ocean could be forgotten.


Stark watched the figure as it was swallowed by the forest, transforming into a shadow that darted father away with each second. Her words echoed in his head, a warning that sent a chill through his soaked body. Turning to gaze out at the sea, he saw with dread that the storm had gained strength. Rain hurled down like an endless volley of arrows, while the waves somersaulted and eagerly drank the drops of rain. Lightning streaked down towards the ocean, lighting the sky and water briefly before disappearing. Stark could faintly make out the shape of a ship being toyed with by the storm, an insignificant being in the mist of the God’s rage.

Somewhere on the ship, his father and his shipmates were struggling to keep the boat afloat. Had they noticed his absence, or were they so occupied by the threat of the ship sinking that they had momentarily forgotten him? He wondered whether the weather would abate soon, and if any of them would make it home alive.

He stretched and stood. Here, on the island, the storm was but a scene on a television set. There was no wind, no icy shards of rain, not even a trace of gray cloud to stare at. Indeed, the sky above the island was a clear blue. Sunlight streamed down, warming the island and its inhabitants. Stark stood for a long time looking back and forth between the blue sky and raging storm. Slowly it dawned on him that perhaps, just maybe, he had stumbled onto the mysterious island where none could escape. Heart beating at this realization, he took deep breaths and forced down the panic growing inside him.

The girl, she’s on the island. Maybe she could help, he thought.

Arming himself with this hope, he started out to the woods, searching for the girl.


She sat curled up in a tight ball. The dark, cold walls of her cave were silent companions, soothing only because of their emptiness. Above, her hand-made sun catchers soaked up the sunlight and painted her home with splashes of light pink, faint gold, forest green, and the unforgiving ocean blue. Her father’s message glass leaned against the wall. Through the tears that blurred her eyes, she saw that the glass was swirling with mist. Soon, the face of her father appeared. His cold blue eyes watched the pitiful creature that was his daughter crying in the middle of her cave. Frowning, he spoke with a voice that sounded of waves crashing.

“Oceana, stop wasting your tears. You know this is only right, and I would have thought you’d be used to it by now. As it is, you are still the weakling you were then. Yet now, my power dwindles. I fear this PLAN is ending, and you must not let it. Have you been deceiving me in the past years?” he asked sharply.

“No, Father,” Oceana answered, confused with her father’s speech. It was wrong, a disturbance in the ritual that had become her life. It made no sense. “You know I can not do such a thing. You have forbidden it with our blood.” The venom in her voice surprised even herself.

He stared at her. “Then continue as you have before, and do not fail. Your fate will rest in the outcome of this day.”
With that, his face melted into a fine mist, smearing the mirror. She watched the mist slowly clear off. Her mind replayed the conversation, trying to figure out what exactly had gone wrong.
Suddenly a voice made her jump.

“Um, hello?” Stark asked. He had walked around and around the island until he came to the cave. Peering inside, he could see that multiple sun-catchers were creating mosaics on the rock walls. Near the end of the cave, the girl was staring at something, her back to him. At the sound of his voice, however, she started. Jumping up and turning, her eyes widened at the sight of him. “You!” She exclaimed.

“Um,yeah. Sorry, did I startle you?” He asked.

“Very much. I am not used to company,” she replied. “You may come in, though.”

Stark made his way into the cave. It was such a natural and beautiful home, with all the colors dancing around. The girl wasn’t bad off either. She stood staring at him with blue eyes tinted with gray. She wore a silken blue dress that fitted her frame perfectly. Overall, she shone with a natural beauty, comparable to the ocean.

The girl stood and watched him all the while, a strange look on her face. “Who are you?” she asked.

“Oh, yeah, there wasn’t time for introductions before you ran off, was there?” Stark asked, trying not to sound sarcastic. He needn’t have worried, though. The girl seemed preoccupied with something. “I’m Stark. My father’s a captain. He’s out there in the storm right now.” Stark paused.
“What’s your name?”

“Oceana,” the girl answered.

“Um, well, are you a captive of this island too? Why does the storm not touch this island?” Stark asked hopefully. He might as well find out some things, just in case.

“The island’s enchanted. No one may leave. I. You could say I am a captive” She answered. A pause. “Are you hungry?” She asked suddenly.

Stark blinked. “Um, sure. I’m more worried and confused than hungry, though.” He glanced around.

“Food will help,” She replied not too confidently. “You can make yourself at home. I know the island better.”Then she ran out of the cave.

Man, she sure loves to run, Stark thought.


Love you Oceana, Oceana, don’t worry. Curses never last forever. Just….

His last words before the waves swallowed him. Since then, everything had changed. Oceana, what a terrible name, a terrible creature, terrible. She stood by the edge of the island, the cold water washing over her feet. The ocean called her, begging her to drown herself in its secrets, the very ones that were hers to take at birth, and the same ones that had been taken away from her. She knelt and drew a picture of a seashell on the wet sand.

“Curses don’t last forever, love”

Her head snapped up. Her heart beat franticly, her eyes searching the world for the owner of that sweet voice.

A laugh. Beside her, a crab stared up at her. Was this what had been talking to her?

“ This crab is only my messenger. I can’t escape the prison, you know. However, that can all change. Soon we can be together again, just like we planned. His power is fading, the curse’s magic is dwindling. Now is the time to strike, Oceana. Please,” He begged.

“Josepher, is that really you?” She asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

“Aye, love. Now listen. I can’t talk for much longer. My power is not as it was. Do as your supposed to, and wait for me. This year, the curse shall break and we shall be free.” His voice began to fade.

“Wait! Can we not save the boy? He is but an innocent.”

“Maybe” and the voice was gone.


Stark explored the cave in the girl’s absence. He marveled at the skillfully carved suncatchers. They seemed to be made from a type of natural glass, painted meticulously. It made the cave seem like a church, full of color and a sense of mysterious holiness, as though some ancient being had at one time lived here. Near the end of the cave was a bed crafted from branches and dried mud. A woven blanket of leaves was folded neatly on top of it. Staring at it, he once again wondered how long the girl had been on the island. Continuing his walk around the cave, he saw a fireplace. Deciding to at least be of some use, he went out to gather some kindling for a fire. As he grabbed a last handful, he saw a crab poised on a rock. It seemed to be staring at him with its small black eyes.

Strange, he thought.

Returning to the cave, he built a fire and waited. Soon the girl returned. She held a net full of fish, as well as a basket filled with berries and fruits. Silently, she worked on cleaning the fish and roasting them on the fire. Soon a dinner of fish and berries was ready.

End of Part 1