Something up in the Attic | Teen Ink

Something up in the Attic

By Amandabaker BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois
Amandabaker BRONZE, Lemont, Illinois

“We’re finally here, I can’t believe it”, I screeched as I jumped out of the car. “I can’t wait to go see my new room!” My family has just arrived at our new house. We are all excited, and did not delay on unpacking any of our things. I began looking through the new house to find the perfect room. My old room was quite small and I want to pick out this room so that I know it would be the perfect one for me. I walked around inspecting the house until I saw a large room that was painted a light pink and had green stripes on it.
“I love it, it’s my favorite colors and it has a big window that I can look out of”, I said when I showed my parent’s the new room.
My mother replied, “as long as you are happy with it baby then let’s start unpacking your things”.
I was so excited that I did not delay on unpacking anything. I quickly took out all my toys from the boxes, and put each one in its own special place. I continued to help until I reached for another box and there was none! I was finally done; my room was officially complete. I sat in my special bean bag chair that was green with pink polka dots. I had gotten this chair for my seventh birthday last year and I sit in it every day. As I was sitting in the chair admiring my new room, I noticed a red streak on the wall. So I walked closer to it, and examined it more. “Oh it’s probably just red marker from the family that lived here before me”, I said to myself and went to play with my toys. Later that night, after I had been tucked into bed, I fell asleep. When I woke up, I felt a little strange, so I told my mom that I had a bad dream last night.
“Mom, in my dream, there was this girl, she had blonde hair and had black eyes. She wore a clean white dress and she was running. I couldn’t see where, but there was a man behind her chasing her.”
My mother just told me “honey, you had a bad dream. It was probably just jitters from sleeping in the new house. Don’t let it get to you, just enjoy they day.”
So I decided not to let it ruin my day and I played all day with my toys and never thought about it again. But that night, after I fell asleep, I had a similar dream. But this time, instead of this strange girl being chased, she was being killed. So I told my mom again.
I said “Mom, the same dream happened again, but this time the girl was stabbed. She was bleeding to death, in my room! But it wasn’t my room; it didn’t have my stuff in it. All the furniture was different.”
My mom didn’t think anything of it and told me “Honey, it was just the ending to your bad dream last night. Don’t be afraid, everything is ok.”
Trusting my mother, I decided to believe her but in the back of my mind, this dream stayed with me and I kept thinking about it. Later that day, I began to notice that there was this darkness behind me. A sense of a cold breeze comes through me and my heart began to feel as though it is being squeezed out of my chest. As the day dragged on, this darkness behind me developed more and more and it began to mold into this shape I could not define. This blob grew into a defined shape that began to grow into the shape of a woman. This shadow woman seemed to get closer and closer to me by the hour. I began to get so uncomfortable that I could not handle the idea of being followed in my own home. All this grief got to me and it caused a fear to come through my body and I got so uncomfortable to the point where I got so scared and as my body was shaking, the only words that I could push out of my mouth, were “who’s there?” As I waited for a reply, I couldn’t move. My body felt as though it was so cold that it was frozen to the ground. I was no longer me; I had become an ice sculpture with the fear of cracking to a million pieces. It was only when my dad came finding me that I was able to get myself to move. The comfort of my dad keeping me at safety gave me a boost of confidence. To not let this fear come back, I decided to keep this to myself for now and hang out with my dad for the rest of the day. But as I went to bed, I relived the dream from the night before. This girl, she was still bleeding to death; it seemed as though it was the exact same scene I had dreamed about the night before. But wait, another figure came into view, it was a woman, with dark hair. She was crying and screaming, she was on her knees, begging the killer to spare her life as well. Before the killer had left, he had wiped all the blood from the child on the wall. This blood turned into streaks, streaks similar to the ones that I examined in my room the day. I was starting to get freaked out, and without knowing it, I screamed “No, no, stop! Help!” The next thing I knew I was sitting up in my bed, shaking, and panting, out of breath. I was uncomfortable in the darkness, so I turned on the light, and sure enough, when I turned my head to look at the wall by the closet, it was the blood I had seen in my dream. I screamed “Mom! Help!”
My mother came running in asking, “Honey what’s wrong, what happened?”
I replied “my dreams are coming true, they are haunting me.”
“Dreams can’t come true, that’s why they are dreams, just go back to bed.”
Even though I tried, I could not fall back asleep; I lay awake, wondering what this dream could mean. But out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move. There it was again! This movement was fast and quick. What could it be? Could it be the shadow, what could this shadow possibly want from me? I laid there thinking about this all night, and I had come up with no conclusion. When I got up that morning, my mother had already left for work, and my dad was in the basement on a sales call. So I went to investigate more on this strange, out of the ordinary, creepy dream that I had last night. First off, I went back to my room and by the closet sure enough, the blood was gone. I began to run my hands over the wall, and when I did, I noticed a spot where the wallpaper was beginning to ware away. So I took the paper and I pulled it. Regretting my decision, I uncovered the streak of blood I had seen before. Could this be real? Could my dream really be coming true? Was it a dream? Was this trying to tell me something? All these thoughts ran through my head. I began to get dizzy, I couldn’t think straight, and before I knew it, I fainted.

When I awoke, I was still alone in my bedroom next to the wall, but I was not alone, and I knew it. This shadow of darkness had come back to me. But now, I not only knew that it had become the shape of a woman, but I knew exactly who this was. I had seen her in my dream; she was crying, screaming, and was feeling terror. It began to get closer, and closer, and I didn’t know what I could do. All that I could bring to my mouth to say was,
“Who’s there? What do you want? What have I done to deserve this?”
I waited for a reply, hoping that this figure could give me a hint as to why she is here. But I got no response; I was scared to move, but I had to get out. Was there another way? No, the figure was nearing the door, the same door I wished to escape from. But faster and faster the shadow went, moving toward the door. But just as I thought the woman was going to leave, she detoured and shot straight up the wall and disappeared into the attic, through the ceiling door. I was so scared that I whispered to myself, “She lives above me….” Again I could not move until my father came to find me. Thoughts were jumbling up my mind as I couldn’t believe this was my real life. Will it be this way forever? It has only been a week in this house. I cannot be tortured like this for the rest of my life. I had to do something. So that night, after I had finished dinner with my mom and dad, I disappeared to my room for the rest of the night. I told my parents,
“I’m going to play with my new American Girl Doll and then I am going to bed”
“Good night sweet heart, have a good rest”, my mother replied and then we departed ourselves for the night.
I had deceived them for my intentions for the night were very different. I had to get my soul back and I had to uncover this mystery. When I got to my room, the room was cold and empty. She had not come back; she was still missing in the attic. Not knowing how to get her down, the only conclusion that I came up with was to go find her in the attic. So I moved my desk chair right in front of the door, and piled all my pillows and boxes up on the chair. When it was finally high enough, I climbed all the way to the top of the tower that I created, and opened up the door to the attic. I began to climb in when a sudden force blew me down to the ground, slamming my back against the hard wood floor. Then suddenly, a voice, familiar and roaring voice called out
“Never come back.”
I gained the courage to call out back “Why? What do you have to hide?”
She replied, “The secrets of the house you will soon learn.”
With this, I began to shiver and shake, what did she know? Where did she come from? Did she live here before? All this began to soon get to me and I had no idea what to believe. I did not feel safe in my own home, I was scared and didn’t know what to expect next. But nevertheless, I had to get sleep so I went to bed normally as I had every night. But that night, the strange thing was, is that I didn’t have that dream. But when I woke up that morning, I couldn’t breathe correctly. I took over extensive deep breathes and felt fatigued. My parents decided to take me to the hospital because this was not normal behavior to be coming from me. When the doctors came in they told calmly told us,
“Everything is going to be alright, but she has low blood count. An incredible blood amount has left her body in such a short period of time. It is still undetermined how it could have left, but it has left. Her body cannot function correctly without it.”
“Is she going to be alright?”
“Yes, she will be fine; we just have to inject more blood into her body to bring it back to normal.”
“Great, when will she be able to come home?”
“Tonight, she will be good as new in just a few hours”
All I could do is wonder what could have happened to me. All the sudden it came to me, I dreamed of blood, I saw blood in my room, and now my own blood was taken. There was only one conclusion, and I knew it had to be correct. The woman had taken it from me. But why? How was my blood any use to her? I had no idea, but I couldn’t tell my parents. They wouldn’t believe me, they would just think that I am crazy for even bringing that idea into my head. I just had to go home and hope for the best.
When I was finally released from the hospital, my mom and dad took me home and brought me to my bed, where I was to stay for the rest of the night. I sat there all alone with my toys, silent and calm. But suddenly, a shiver came through my body as I felt that she was here. She was spiraling around the room, at a pace that I couldn’t keep up with. I couldn’t tell which way she was coming from. The room seemed to get dizzier and I began to lose my eyesight of what was going on around me. This torture continued to minutes, and then it began to seem as though it was going to slow down. But it was just the opposite; it got faster and faster to a point where I couldn’t take it anymore. But there was no way to stop this. I was in no control over her and had no idea what she was going to do to me. I didn’t know what she wanted with me either. Suddenly, my body began to feel strange. It was as though I was draining, I began to feel less and less blood inside of me I could feel move all the way from my heart to my legs, and then all the way through to my feet. I didn’t want this, why did she want to do this to me. What had I done to deserve this? And at that moment, I could feel that all the blood was gone, I was a hollow figure, cold, and empty. It was at this moment, that I saw the world for the last time, and my eyes shut.