Kinetics | Teen Ink

Kinetics

November 15, 2012
By Omilian BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
Omilian BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
LIFE=RISK


I walk through the woods. I’m walking on the same path I have been for years. I can see the footprints of my previous ventures in the dirt trail that curves through all the gigantic trees. I’ve always loved walking out here. There’s probably not a person in these woods for miles. It’s really safe out here. I like to practice here because there’s no way of being spotted, well, almost no way. There have been a rare few that have seen my gift and I’ve had to take care of it. I stop in a big clearing in the woods. There’s still a canopy of tree branches over me and small beams of light shine through. I start off small. Pluck a leave from a branch 30 feet up. It took me forever to be able to be this meticulous with my power. I bring it down in front of my face; I keep my hands in my pocket because it’s more difficult that way. I can feel the rough texture of the leaf with my mind. All the different bumps and lines are an awesome sensation to feel. I concentrate and pull the lighter green veins from the leaf with out tearing its skin. I drop the leaf and move onto something bigger. Yesterday I came out here with a chain saw and cut up some foot long pieces of a tree trunk. So I concentrate on the pile I made. I outstretch my arms. And get ready. I concentrate on the top log. With one swift motion I launch the log at a tree and watch it split into a million pieces. Then watch as the little splinters of wood fall down to the ground and I catch them all. I watch them floating there for a second then turn them into spears and launch them at a tree and stick them deep into the trunk. I then get serious. I pick up all the tree trunks in my pile and start twirling them around me, It’s a tornado of logs and small bits of dirt, I prepare to throw them into the air when I hear a loud
“HEY!” and I’m stunned, I drop everything and turn around to see who it is. It’s an older man. He’s wearing an orange reflector vest so I know he’s been hunting. He’s got a red flannel coat on under it and he’s carrying a rifle.
I say to him “you know this is private property right? You can’t hunt here”
He interrupts in a strong southern accent “never mind that, what in the hell were you just doing? Are you an alien or somethin?” I Grab his gun with my mind and tear it to shreds right in front of him. “HEY!” he screams then reaches around to his back and grabs a small revolver and fires. I deflect it barely and grab the gun and throw it. I concentrate as hard as I can and grip all the molecules in his body. He lifts off the ground and he’s frozen. When I take hold like this, people generally can’t move much. I slowly start moving all the molecules away from each other and he disintegrates into nothing in front of me. I do the same to his pistol and what’s left of his rifle. I hate doing this but I can’t afford to let anyone know what I can do. I finish my practice then start the journey back home.



If you think about it, it’s almost impossible to be special in this world. No matter what makes you special or whatever makes you unique, someone somewhere will share that same quality or skill. I think that’s why I am so proud of my gift. I am the strongest of my kind; I’ve made sure of that. Whenever I’ve heard of a hero rising up or a normal average joe do an amazing feet that looked like it would have been impossible for them to do, they get a visit from me shortly after. Whenever I see others of my kind on the internet or the news, I get tunnel vision. Nothing else matters. I do everything in my power to get to them and end them. I lose control when I’m with another Psychokinetic. I can’t stop till I’ve torn them apart till only dust remains. And then something strange but wonderful happens. When I’ve finally ended a Psychokinetic’s life, a strange blurry blue energy floats into my body. It’s a surge of energy and power. And then my power is added to theirs and I get stronger. It’s a drug that I can’t seem to resist.


The first time it happened was a total accident. I wasn’t even aware of my power yet. It was just another easy going day at school. We broke free from class to go to lunch, it was pizza Wednesday and we were all racing to the lines to get our food before it was all gone. I was one of the first in line when a kid named Jacob cut right in front of me. I’ve had trouble with this kid in the past. He’s a text book bully. He is big, not fat, just more broad a crossed the shoulders. He stands almost six feet tall even though we were only in middle school. Standing by him made me feel very small. I had had enough of this guy. I wound back and punched him right in his back. Right where the kidney resides. He turned around, virtually unaffected by my strike. The expression on his face was absolutely terrifying. My body was screaming, I wanted to turn and run as fast as humanly possible. I yelled at him.
“Go to the back of the line!”
Everyone was silent. Amazed by my bravery and possibly my stupidity.
He replied, “Why don’t you make me f*****t”
I pulled back and punched him in the stomach as hard as I could. Trying to mimic the kung fu masters that I’d seen in all my movies. He hunched over, he seemed more surprised than hurt. He recovered and pulled back and struck my jaw with disorientating force. I spun and fell then stumbled to get back up. Everyone in the crowd went “ooooooh.” I could hear little comments like “knock him out Jacob!” and “That shrimp can take a hit!” I don’t really know what happened then. All I really remember is I somehow summoned up the strength to stand up. It was strange. I felt sturdy, and strong. Jacob took a step towards me but I ran at him, I slid and punched the side of his knee. The whole thing buckled under the weight of his bulking body. He screamed. He swung at me, it was a last chance effort to end the fight before further injury or humiliation. I leaned back. He hit nothing but air. I wound back, thoughts racing through my head. I’m finally gonna be popular. I’m finally gonna be noticed. I’m the kid that beat up the biggest kid in school. I put every bit of anger I had into that punch. All the times he beat kids up or picked on me and my friends. I knew it was going to be a good one. My hand made contact with his face but then something strange happened. A shock wave of energy shot out of my knuckles. All I really remember from that point is just looking down at Jacobs’s headless body. Absolutely stunned. People were screaming. Running around, some just stared at me, equally stunned as I was. I couldn’t hear anything, my ears were ringing like a bomb went off, and it certainly looked like one had. The whole cafeteria was lined with blood and brain matter.


I couldn’t believe my eyes. Everything was so great. It was just a stupid fight. I was gonna be popular. I was going to get noticed. What happened? Well now I’m going to get the attention I never ever wanted. I was one of the kids that ended a life at a school. I could slowly feel my disappointment and panic come over me when all of a sudden,
BAMB!


I was over taken by a surge of energy. All I could see was a blue blur of electric shocks and a cloud of turquoise flowing in and around me. I couldn’t move or do anything. It felt like my limbs and fingers were vibrating violently. I didn’t understand what was happening but I liked it.


Years later when I finally understood my powers and how Psychokinetic energy works, I came to the conclusion that Jacob was a Psychokinetic and I had accidentally ended his life, but by that time, it was too late. I was hooked. I needed more.


After that day I ran until I couldn’t anymore. I got out of the school before any teachers or police got there. The school was clearing out. Thousands of kids and teachers running out into the parking lot trying to put order into the chaos. It wasn’t very hard to get out of there in all the panic.


I ran home where I took a shower and packed up my clothes. Kim, my adopted mother was still at work. She was good friends with my mom and took me in when my parents died. She was just going to raise me till I turned 18 and I could take my trust fund.


I ran to an abandoned house far out in the woods where no one had lived for years. I used to explore out there when I was younger. I’ve lived here since. Occasionally going into town and stealing supplies, food, and water. Practicing, and learning how to control my power. Occasionally leaving for weeks at a time to go end another Psychokinetic’s life.


This time I went to India. I had read on the internet that a man had held up a beam of a collapsing building long enough for everyone to get out. They said that it was a miracle that he held it for as long as he did. It read that he refused interview after the situation, and they blamed his ability on a sudden rush of adrenaline. Then it went on to list some random facts about humans and adrenaline that tied the story together in some cheap little article on an Indian website but I had read enough. My next trip was to India.



I bought a ticket and flew there the morning after I had read the article. I’m always thankful that I have that trust fund. But I had to cash it years ago because I’m sorta a wanted felon for killing a kid in middle school, but it’s no biggie. I just have to occasionally take some cash out of my basement instead of going to a bank. It’s in a big pile under a false floor board. When I arrived I went straight to the building that collapsed and took a look at the wreckage. It was a massive pile of burnt wood and steel. I noticed that the whole frame of the building was steel and it would have been impossible for a human to hold it up. This closed out all doubt that this guy wasn’t a Psychokinetic. I did wonder how a steel frame building collapsed from a fire, but I was sure he’d explain when I found him.


I spent the next couple of hours talking to locals and trying to find out where the mystery man lived. Finally I met an old woman in the market that gave me the address to where he lived. I got some directions from the locals and before I knew it I was there. Standing outside his building. I made my way up, extremely anxious for the rush to come. I can always feel the adrenaline before I go do this.



I stood outside his door for a moment then I turned the knob and walked in. He had all his clothes out on his bed and was in a panicked rush to get out. I’m glad I caught him before he left. He didn’t notice that I entered so I went along with it. I spotted a bottle of whiskey and walked up to it and took a drink. I leaned up against the dresser just watching him for a moment then said.
“Going somewhere? What’s the rush?”
He shot around. A terrified expression on his face.
“Look, I don’t want any trouble and I don’t want to make any statements or interviews.”
He spoke in a strong accent that was hard to understand.
I grinned “I think we both know I’m not here for an interview, I know what you are.”
Immediately after that he opened his hand and threw a shock wave over me. I’ve gotten to the point where average Psychokinetics don’t really affect me. The wave bounced off of me and went through the wall. I could see the confusion wash over his face and he threw three more at me. One after the other. He stopped, just staring at me. He was panting extremely hard. I could tell he hasn’t used his powers in a long time. He was out of shape.
I leaned forward and walked toward him
“Ya done?” I said with a grin on my face
I picked him up and evaporated every trace. After I was done I cleaned up and walked down into the streets. I was about to start heading home when all of a sudden I was blindsided by a huge wave of energy like I’ve never felt before. I could tell it was a Psychokinetic because of the way it felt but I’ve never felt one this powerful before. Before I hit the ground I caught myself. I pushed against the ground, just floating there for a second trying to see where the wave came from. Out of the dust I saw a blonde woman walking toward me. I was surprised and confused.
I yelled “How did you do that?”
She replied with a sort of laughter in her voice, “Do you really think you’re the only one?”
“The only what?” I replied still confused
“The only hunter. Did you think you were the only one that figured out how to get stronger? Psychokinetics have been doing it for centuries. And you just stole my kill.”
She threw a monstrous wave toward me but I put everything into it and punched through it. I grabbed her and threw her through a building. I could see that it hurt her but I knew she’d be coming back. I could tell that she was way stronger than me. I needed to get out of here if I wanted to survive. I pushed against the ground and flew through the hills as fast and as low as I could. I haven’t felt scared since that day in middle school. I knew that this wasn’t the end of my experience with the blonde woman, but I knew that if I was going to take her on again, I’d need to be a lot stronger. So I headed home to get stronger the only way I knew how.