Spies | Teen Ink

Spies

October 30, 2012
By FablehavenFan GOLD, Grand Rapids, Michigan
FablehavenFan GOLD, Grand Rapids, Michigan
10 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Spies

I was sitting alone at a small rundown inn when two men in black overcoats came through the door. One of them walked with a pronounced limp. They walked up to me, the one on the left said “David Shore, by order of the governments secret service organi-.” I cut him off,

“Save the formalities Joseph, I know why you’re here. How’s that leg healing up Dr. North?” I asked. I was referring to when I escaped from him and his organization a year ago. He tried to stop me so I pushed him out of my way. He fell and hurt his leg. He gave me a venomous look that said I would love to kill you right now. In truth he probably would if he didn’t know who I was. But he did know, he knew what I could do with just a thought. Yes, when I said push I didn’t mean with my hands, I did it with my mind. No one knows why but I was born with the ability to use my brain to do a variety of incredible feats.

I could remember everything I saw or heard. When presented with a problem from solving a complex equation to unlocking a locked door my subconscious would solve it in a matter of seconds. I could lift up objects and throw them. Read people’s minds. And plant ideas in other peoples heads.

As for me pushing Dr. North, well that was a more personal matter. I used to be a mercenary. I fought for money until they found me. I was tired, so tired. They took me in and helped me perfect my powers. I thought I was done until they asked me to return the favor. I was asked to spy for them. It didn't seem that bad at first until they tried to find out how I got my powers. When I went in for a blood test I broke out. I threw some things around and bolted for the door. North tried to stop me. In that moment of anger I wielded my powers with rage. I threw him against the wall. My last image was of him holding his leg and staring at me like I was a monster. I had been running ever since.

“We need you back.” Said Joseph, “Just for one more job.” I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. I had caused enough destruction in 18 years than most people had caused in a lifetime.

“What sort of job?” I asked.

“A simple job. Break in and destroy the target.” As he said it I quickly read his mind. He was telling the truth. But that didn’t mean I had to accept his offer.

“What’s in it for me.” I had to see how far they were willing to go. If it was for real or not.

“Complete and total amnesty from past crimes.” Said Dr. North. If I could get them erased from the records I might have a chance at normal life. I knew they could do it, I had seen the amount of technology they had back at their base.

“Well!” Dr. North said impatiently “Do we have a deal?” Almost without hesitation I shook his hand.

“Yes.” I said

Two days later I was back at the place I had sworn to never enter again. It was pretty much the same as I remembered. There was a bunch of computers and things in the center of the room. Off to the left there was the mess hall and the sleeping quarters.

“I assume you still remember where the briefing room is.” Said Dr. North, even though he knew very well that I did. I headed down the corridor on the left. I passed doors with names engraved in small bronze plates. I wondered who they were. Nameless office people or relevant scientists. At the end I made it to a wooden door with the words “Briefing Room” on it. I went inside and took a seat at the long black table.

As I sat there some people filled the empty chairs. there were scientists in immaculate white lab coats, military people with at least ten pounds of medals, and black suited government officials. Last entered a man dressed in black everything so that he almost blended into the table. He walked up to the front of the room and took a seat at the head of the table. The room quieted down and he rose.

“People, we are here to discuss a very important issue. The shipments acquired by Mr. Nako. He has been spotted by one of our field agents accepting shipments of a rare metal known as Vibranium. It is a strange substance completely immune to the abilities of our special guests.” He gestured to me and a girl on the other side of the table. She had black hair like mine but her’s was long and reached her shoulders.

“We believe that he intends to use it as a way of defending himself. So then he must have something to hide. Thats why we are sending the two of you to break in. Your main objective will be to find out what he is planing and stop it. It is a difficult task but I think you are ready. You start at midnight tonight.”

Two hours later I was in the training room. I was told that I should work with my partner Civia before the mission. When I walked in she was standing on the other side of the room. “So, your Civia?” I asked,

“Yes.” She replied, “We’re supposed to train I guess.”

“How?” I asked, as soon as I said it a dart shot out of the wall. I stopped it just short of hitting my head. “How about a warning next time!” I yelled, unsure as to whom I was talking to. Civia looked like she was holding back a smile. “You think this is funny?” I asked.

“No, its just, I’ve heard so much about you. Your mind is more powerful than anyones I’ve ever seen. And well... that was a bit pathetic.”

I was a bit angry about that last comment but I also had a bit of respect for Civia now. Most people there looked down while they talked to me and never made eye contact. Civia was different. I sensed a large amount of courage in her. And despite what she said I could tell she had a powerful mind as well.

“So... why did they pick you?” I asked.

“I don't know. I guess they saw potential. As for what I can do...” She concentrated on the space in front of her. There was a shimmering in the air and suddenly a ball of fire appeared. It flew around the room before going out.

“Pyrokinesis,” I said, “not bad.” We talked for a while before we heard a message that we had to rest.

In truth I needed it, my mind felt sluggish and lethargic.

I woke up at eleven thirty and went to the hanger. I met Civia and we got on the jet. The pilot said the ride would only be about twenty minutes. Civia and I talked strategy for a while and then got off the plane. They had dropped us off at the back of the building.

It looked massive with guards posted every few yards and more patrolling the grounds. I thought for a second if it was worth it. Then I imagined being able to stop running. Yes, it is worth it. I looked at Civia and I knew she was ready for it to. “Ready?” I asked.

“Ready.” Civia said. We ran up to the wall together and shot a rope to the top. We silently climbed it and reached the roof. I opened the grate while Civia kept watc. We slid down into the vents. We crawled for a while until we reached a dead end.

“Civia,” I asked, “can you melt a hole in the floor?”

“You bet.” She said and went to work. It took longer than I liked but she made a big enough hole in the floor of the vent. We silently dropped down. I quickly wished we hadn't. The room was filled with guards. They seemed surprised at first but then formed a ring around us. “It looks like we’re in for a fight.” Civia said.

“I guess so.” I responded. Civia melted the guards weapons while I threw the nearest ones around. Soon the fight was over. The guards had all been rendered weaponless and unconscious.

“Which way is the Vibranium?” Civia asked. I scanned the area with quick physic pulses.
“Down the left corridor.” I said. We walked for a bit until we saw the room. There were two guards standing next to a metal case. I didn't even need to ask this time. We both knew exactly what to do.

I dropped the guards silently with a mental blast while Civia ran forward and reached the safe with the Vibranium in it. She placed three small bombs on it and we quickly escaped.


We rendezvoused with the pilot just after I detonated the bombs. As we reached the base I saw North talking to someone. They seemed to be arguing but reached an agreement. As North walked away I saw the man produce a file.
As soon as I saw it I knew what it was. My file. He took out a lighter and burned it. After that I said goodby to Civia. She seemed surprised that I was leaving so soon. But my job was done. I walked away from there finally free.


The author's comments:
I had a sudden inspiration to write a story on the action-packed life of a super-spy.