Downstream | Teen Ink

Downstream

By Stearnzy BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts
Stearnzy BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

"It's not about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and get back up"
- Rocky

Tom Cyr woke up in the middle of the night to a voice outside his tent. In panic, he turned on a lantern.
“Who’s out there?” Tom yelled.
He got no response. He figured it was the wind and decided to go back to sleep. As he was about to go to sleep, he heard the voice again, and Tom was certain it was a voice. This angered Tom. He grabbed a lantern and went outside of his tent.
“WHO’S OUT THERE?” Tom roared.
Tom was ready to beat who ever this was, into a pulp. He glanced around just waiting to see the culprit. No one. No one was there. Tom glanced around quickly before he went back inside. He was about to go back inside, but then he saw it.
It’s back was toward Tom when Tom spotted it. Tom being curious, started to approach the creature.
“Was that you calling my name earlier?” Tom asked.
He got no response. Then the thing turned around. Tom freaked out. What or who ever this was, its face was held together by a couple of stitches. One eye was yellow awhile the other eye was red. It was wearing a dark red robe as if it were apart of a cult.
“Wh- what do you want?” Tom barely said in between shivers.
It raised its long, lanky fingers and pointed at Tom.
“This is some kind of joke right? Tom chuckled.
In response, the thing took its robe off. It was so skinny that you could see its bones! And too make it worse it had scars all around its body. Then it started to run at Tom!
Startled, Tom ran. Since he served in the army for 7 years, he was in great shape, so usually running wasn’t a problem. But for some reason it was now. Why was he running so slowly? Why did he feel so drained of energy? Tom realized that he was going to have to stop sometime. He took a quick glance back, expecting to see that thing on his tail, but it was gone. So Tom stopped, and started gasping in air.
For the next couple of minutes Tom stood there, just taking in air.
“Maybe the thing must of seen my athletic build and scattered off!” Tom chuckled.
As soon as Tom said that he heard branches snap behind him. That’s when the thing came charging at him.
Tom ran away. He ran as fast as he could, adrenaline coursing through is veins. Tom, didn’t realize it, but if he continued running the path he was now, he would reach the summit.
“No... NO!” Tom cried. He had reached the cliff.
He looked down the cliff, hoping to see that it wasn’t too far down. But it was. His only chance of surviving the fall would to be landing in the river. He turned around and saw the thing approaching him.

School