Excerpt from my book about death and purgatory | Teen Ink

Excerpt from my book about death and purgatory

By CJErnest SILVER, New York, New York
CJErnest SILVER, New York, New York

"There was some beauty to life after all, even if it was only the beauty of hope"
- Laurence Yep

“On a serious note, I was wonderin’ why we are all here, in dis train. Thoughts?”
Bones leans forward slightly so that the single, bare light bulb catches his thin face. I realize that I haven’t heard him speak yet. He looks down shyly, and says, “I reckon we came here for a reason. I can’t remember what happened beforehand. All I know is, I was at a train stop, with a ticket in my hand. I had never seen it before, yet I knew what it was for, and that it marked my moving onwards.”

“Movin’ onwards from what?” Rummy asks, puzzled.

“Life,” Bones says simply.
We sit quietly for a moment, pondering this. It makes sense; the pain, the dust, the train stop, the ticket. The loss of memory. I wonder how it came to be like this – how I came to be like this. It had felt as though I had awoken in my body, amidst the whirlwinds of dust and sand. The first thing that had come to my mind was emptiness, and that scared me. I had stood with my trunk and handbag, a minute, half an hour, a full hour, waiting for someone to show up. To tell me that this was all a joke, that I was dreaming. But no one had come, and eventually I had realized I was alone. I could tell I was at a train stop, with all the luggage behind me. It had seemed lost as well, a symbol of somebody else’s forgotten past and disregarded thoughts. The ticket was the other clue – I had felt it’s sharp corners through my thin skirts. Curious, I had pulled it out and read the black inscription on it.

I had understood what was happening, that I was moving onward, but I hadn’t thought about where I came from yet.
“So’s di some kinda purgatory or somethin’?” Fedora asks, breaking the silence.
“Depends on where we’re going.” Arnie says sagely.

Um, this is only part of it. so tell me what you think. I didn't want to paste the whole story yet because I want some feedback. Also, please don't steal my idea!