The Story of Drake Haph | Teen Ink

The Story of Drake Haph

October 17, 2012
By TylerDTM BRONZE, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
TylerDTM BRONZE, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
How are you?


My name is Drake Haph. You probably do not know me, and I probably do not know you. If you do not want to risk discovering me and being detained or even killed by the D.E.D., leave now. If you are still reading this, you are brave. More brave than most humans. You deserve to hear my story.

On September 30, 1374, my father and mother both were executed for reasons unknown. I had been born just 13 days before. The executioner raised me for 3 years, and then deserted me in a faraway forest. I don’t know how, but I survived on my own for years. When I turned what I presumed to be twenty-five, (I marked the months on a nearby stump) I left the forest and headed East with 3 rabbits, 2 pieces of venison and a full water pouch made of elk hide. I left my bow and arrows, knife and traps behind. I traveled miles and miles, only stopping to rest my feet and eat, and finally came upon a desert.

After 3 days just trying to make it through, I had no food, no water, and no idea where I was. I spotted a distant snow-topped mountain, and started towards it. I was walking and closed my eyes and when I opened them, I was staring at the sand. I attempted to get up but could barely move my arms or legs. I lay there helplessly for almost a day and passed out again. I awoke later and before I opened my eyes I felt a rush of air against my body. I tried to open my eyes but even that was too strenuous. I blacked out yet again and when I woke up this time, I was in a bed inside a cave. The only light came from a couple of candles littered around. I slowly tried to open my eyes and was awarded by seeing a very old man sleeping in a chair that was facing my bed. I tried to say something but I had no voice. I looked to the side of my bed and found a glass of water. I took it and drank it gratefully. I guess I was drinking loudly, because the man woke up and said, “Good morning.”
I did not see him wake up and when he spoke, I almost dropped the glass. I tried speaking again and was able to get out a very hoarse “Hello.” After I spoke I had a few painful coughs. I asked him where I was and he said,
“Uh… a desert. I know that much. I have lived here my whole life. You’re the first human I’ve seen in more than a hundred years.”
“You’re joking right?” I said with a slightly less hoarse voice.
“Yes. I am. I’ve only lived here about a decade or two.”
I rubbed my neck and smiled.
“Do you have any food?”
“Um. Let me check.”
He got up and left the room. While he was gone, I tried to get up, which I was barely able to do, and noticed that I was in what looked like a robe. I stared at it for a few seconds, and then I looked to my left, to try to find a way out. Seeing nothing, I looked to my right. I saw one old, wooden door, with a wooden bar over it. I started towards it and when my hand was about two inches from it, I heard the man angrily say, “Get away from that door.” I obeyed his command, turned around, and saw him with an old stone plate with some kind of grey glop on it. He noticed me staring at it, and said, “Well, this is all I have. It isn’t good, but it’ll keep you going.”
“Right.”
He gave it to me and I sat down on my bed, rested the plate on my legs, and started eating. It tasted a lot better than it looked. When I was done eating he took the plate and headed back through the door he came in from. I followed.
“How long was I out?” I asked.
“Four days.”
I looked at him in disbelief for a while. I then asked him what his name was.
“That’s not important, Drake.”
“H-how do you-?” I muttered.
“Know your name? I’ve been watching you for a while.”
I slowly walked backed backward.
“Who are you?” I said, a little louder than necessary.
“You can call me Sir, or Mister.”
I was quiet for a few seconds, waiting for a better response that never came.
“O-okay… Was I really out for four days?”
“Yes, you were. I found you out in the desert.”
“Yeah, I remember… feeling… a big, cool breeze on my face. What was that?”
The old man smiled.
“You’ll find out soon enough.”
“Okay…… What’s through that door?”
“Nothing you need to know about.”
I tilted my head quizzically.
What doesn’t he want me to know? I thought.
Something you don’t need to know about. I heard in my head.
“Was… that… Was that you?” I asked curiously.
“Yes. It was.”
“How did you do that?”
“I’m sure you’ll find out. Somehow. Later.”
“Uh… okay…”
“I am leaving to find more food. Stay out of that room.”
“Okay.” I already had my mind set on that door.
“How long will you be gone?”
“About a day or two.”
“Two days?!”
“Yes.”
The man turned and walked through a door that. When it opened, there was a blinding yellow light. Before Drake’s eyes could adjust to see where we were, the door closed. He smiled and looked at the door that the man said not to go through. He slowly walked up to it and lifted the bar. It was much heavier than it looked. He dropped the bar onto the floor and it made a very loud THUD. Drake opened the door and looked inside. There was a small fountain of water. Drake could see a faint white glow from the water. He looked back to make sure the old wasn’t watching, and slid inside, closing the door behind him.
“Okay. The man was hiding water from me. But not normal water, Glowing water.” Drake whispered.
Drake tiptoed closer to the fountain, and when he was two yards away, his mind was overwhelmed with commands. Drake’s hands shot up and clenched his head. “Go back. Go away. Find the old man.” They were telling him. There was one voice just a little louder than all the rest. “Come, Drake. It is your fate.”
Drake’s arms lowered to his sides. He got on his knees and cupped his hands. He dipped his “cup” into the water. It was very cool. He lifted his hands to his mouth, and drank the collected water. Suddenly, all of the water turned pure black. Drake tried to run to the door, but the water formed into a large hand and grabbed his ankle. The water was now almost boiling. Drake could hear his leg sizzle and burn. He felt the burn creep up his leg. Drake looked at it. The skin on his leg was in ashes. He shouted. He felt the burn keep coming up his leg and all over his body. Drake passed out. When he woke, he was still in the cave. He felt warm. He looked down and screamed. His body was dark orange, and he had scales instead of skin. He thought his hair felt different, so he felt his head. He screamed again. He had long horns instead of his greasy black hair.
Drake sprinted towards the door and pushed it open. It flew against the opposite wall, and didn’t fall. Drake didn’t notice. He was in too much of a panic. He jumped into bed and pulled his blanket over his body, waiting to be discovered and punished by the old man. Drake saw the light of the main door open and close. The old man walked into the room, saw the door stuck on the wall, looked at the fountain, and slowly glanced at Drake, anger boiling in his dark eyes. The man’s skin started to burn and fall away. His long white hair shifted into curving, pure white horns on his now elongated head. His hands and feet grew, making him stand on all fours. A long tail sprouted from his lower back, and out of his back exploded huge, eagle-like wings. This old man had turned into a ferocious creature, one that Drake had never even heard of. A Dragon. Drake whimpered.


To Be Continued…


The author's comments:
Just a sample...