The Cage | Teen Ink

The Cage

By moonstruckpoet SILVER, Austin, Texas
moonstruckpoet SILVER, Austin, Texas

“Humankind cannot gain something without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. This is Alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.”

"This is...amazing. I can't even explain it. The world seems to have opened up with an infinite number of possibilities..."

Anxiety. "You know this is dangerous. Selfish, really, for the whole population." Stress. Caution. Playing it safe.

"I couldn't care less. This is how life should be. Emotion shouldn't be repressed." Confidence. A sense direction.

"Promise not to act this way in front of them...they will murder you for it."

"One condition."

"What is it?"

"Stay with me, stay by my side. Promise me we'll stay together."

"...Alright. I promise."

"I promise."

A light embrace.

----------

After the discovery of human mutants, society had changed. Food came in pills swallowed as government officials looked on. Morning pills to obliterate emotion. Night pills to eradicate emotion. Emotion, considered so dangerous, so poisonous to the mind. Emotion, a force so powerful it could aid the Mutants in a fourth war.

White suits, blank faces. Black suits, silver sunglasses, gleaming badges. Grey suits, black caps, blue gloves, white masks.

Curfew at eight.

Two young civilians, a human and a Mutant. They slip out the Main Building after night arrives, the designated pills still in their untouched plastic jars. Dreams are whispered, plans are formed, bonds are strengthened. Bathed in moonlight, they dance under the stars.

Emma, No. 5267, is lovely. Her blue eyes sparkle in anticipation. She is full of feelings, full of dreams. Adventurous, stubborn, willing to fight.

Ren, No. 0001, is just as beautiful. Quiet, observant, wiser than his female counterpart.
Yet he possesses his own dreams, of leaving this bleak society, of finding a world where everyone is free.

----

Emma is caught listening to music while asleep. They discover the uneaten pills as well. She stands alone on the Platform the next day. The sun is fierce. The white suit clings to her sweaty skin. A gun nuzzles her neck.

And a raven sweeps down, knocking down the weapon. The men with white masks and black caps fire.

Emma tumbles to her knees, weeping. Black feathers cover Ren's hair. Blood splatters his ashen face. He takes her hand, smiling softly. "Though you broke your promise," he whispers, "I will not break mine." He pulls her face to his, and they share a feathery kiss.

They shoot Emma. Soon both are dead.

Inspired by Nero's 'Promise.'

This is beautiful! I love your remake of the typical dystopian short story. =)