Masquerade Journey

Chapter One

Inside The Mask

Drip drip drip

Water from the sky continues to fall on my window as I lie still, but very much awake. The door creeks open while flashes of light make the room visible for my eyes.

CRACK!

Drip drip drip

My eyes focus on the ceiling as my mind wanders about. The material that I am concealed in does make my itch. I throw the discomfort able covers off and sit up from my cold bed. Another crack and another flash, I step down onto the icy wooden floor.

Drip drip drip drip

I stand alone in the darkness as I walk swiftly to a restful chair. I sit down and stare blamelessly at the colorless walls. My fingers glide over worthless objects that I had left on my desk. Thunderous noises pain my tired mind and shake the empty room.

Drip drip

BOOM!

I inhale impatiently, waiting for the rumble to stop and for another strike of light. The commotion out side increases vigorously. Does the nature of this world know that people are trying to sleep in this ungodly hour?

People not including me.

Drip drip drip

Flash!

Finally! Fro a moment the glass on the wall reflects my image. I am awfully proud of the way that I have turned out, a success in my personal opinion. Another flash of lighting, which gives me another look, at my mask of a face. The hair on the head is boring blond, more darkened than I have wanted for. The skin is a not to pale and the shape of the face is round. Over all I am glad that it does call for attention.

My eyes pierce through my dull masquerade and it shows the only sign of the real me. My eyes originally should have been changed; they offered to change them to a dull brown. Though I couldn’t have departed from navy blue eyes. They appear so dark that times they appear a shade of black.

After all, eyes are the window to the soul.

Drip drip drip

“What are you doing awake?”

I twist while she stands there in her night robes standing in the hall way. Thunder clashes in the background. She flickers the light bulbs on and my eyelids close at the unexpected pain. I shrug to answer her question and turn back to the mirror.

She sighs, “Yah the storm is a little bit loud but im sure you’ll be able to sleep through it.”

I disregard her last statement. She walks over closer to me so I can see her reflection looking down at me.

“Is there anything bothering you?” She asks feebly.

I can’t believe a woman of her age could be so stupid at times. If I did have anything bothering me, the last thing I would want to do is talk about it to her kind.

I continued to stare at the reflection until she yawned and told me “Well, im going back to bed, and you should too.”

I watch her reflection leave the room leaving the light on.

Drip drip drip

Her kind is so blind. They only see what they want to see, and that’s the best in people.

That’s their most crucial mistake.

I saunter over to the light switch on the wall. I pushed it down and the room became all dark.

I amble back over to find the bed, but I turn to have one final look at my reflection for the night.

I turn and smile, because even though there was no flashes of light, I could still notice my eyes glowing navy blue in the dark hours of the night.

GypseyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 30 at 11:30 am
That was really great! I love the way the piece was carried out in a new and different way, made it sound waaay more interesting. I think you should give writing it as a novel a go:)

DawnieRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:51 am
This is really good!!!!

BorderlineGenius777 said...
Aug. 18, 2012 at 6:33 am
very interesting. a few typos, but nothing major. wonderfu; work, truly.

Meonly said...
I love it and how you keeps you reading and gives you curiosity. but as others said would fix a few typos but they were not too hard to figure out!

newsoulpoet said...
This is really good! I would suggest some minor grammatical changes, but other then that, it's awesome! Thanks for suggesting this to me :)

malaikah said...
i want to know more about the main character... her name, her appearance, her age. after all, if she's 6, how do we know that this isn't just a nightmare, or her imagination. 

fidgetyfrog said...
Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:16 am
wow.  That sure was incredibile. The periodic 'dripping' gave it an eire touch the ending left you crying for more.  But dont. Dont make it a novel. Wont do it no justice.

jmac1780 said...
That was amazing! I love your use of imagery, it was all very vivid and clear, and I felt like I was right there! Excellent writing skills, keep it up! xoxo

TheSihlouettedMan said...
To me, I think it sounds more like a poem than a story. Also, I'll be honest that I didn't exactly understand it. That's probably just me, but I will say that you are a skilled writer. I can see easily that you are very descriptive.

DedicatedDetermination said...
I loved it, the imagery that you created in the story was great. I could picture the character with navy blue eyes looking into that glass. I also could relate when the narrator commented on how blind the woman's "kind," was. Although you really say what the kind was, I could relate because we all get like that. All in all, great piece. And I loved the line, when the narrator said they liked what they say because even in the darkness they say navy blue eyes. To me that represents h... (more »)

KylieKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I believe this is worth ranting about. And, I happen to specialize in ranting, so, here I go.   I love the artistic lines in this. The way you keep bringing the audience back to the rain was suprisingly structured, and you didn't overdo it, (which is a common, but terrible, mistake in free verse flutters of noise/background artistic narraraton).   My first observation was that the character is insomniatic. In the third paragraph, I start understanding the idea that she appr... (more »)

KylieKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
(The giant spaces between my sentences were intended to be indented.)

albinotiger replied...
Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:46 am
kylieK thank u so much 4 the comments. i loved the ranting (i do it all the time) and im glad that u acually understood my piece!! THANK U SO MUCH!! :)