Prey (Prologue)

“The things I am about to tell you on this newscast were believed to have been known by nine people, until earlier today.” A news anchor explained this to viewers at 6pm on July 17, 2019, as Lucas Charles laughed in his Brooklyn apartment watching the news. “At roughly 2am this morning, the Army Corps of Engineers Database was hacked into.” the anchor continued. “Files of a system that was about to go into deployment in the military were stolen, and are in the hands of a person with unknown intentions. Any further information is classified.”

Lucas Charles knew what the files were. After all, as of 2am this morning, they were on his computer. Technology several years in the making was on a USB in a desk drawer and on a computer with a complex systematic password protecting it. But what was it? It was a system that allowed the user to create a compound of genetic characteristics of multiple animals, and infuse that compound into the user. And Lucas would use that system to become a creature that concealed itself in the apartment during the day, with a connection to the outside world provided by his friend, Forbes. But at night he hid in the shadows coming down from rooftops. He came, and killed, and didn’t stop.