The Ascendancy: Prologue | Teen Ink

The Ascendancy: Prologue

July 14, 2012
By HisWrath777 SILVER, Marengo, Ohio
HisWrath777 SILVER, Marengo, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Prologue

On Shift, the planet wide city of Centrix flourished and teemed with activity and the Citidel sat as a shining testament to Imperial glory. However, beneath the gleaming lights of the capital the screams of an old man echoed through the hidden and forgotten halls of the Citidel. His torturer enjoyed every moment of it.

The old man was restrained on a torture table staring up at a shadowy figure standing next to a torture terminal his face unintelligible in the dark. Only a shaft of light from the city providing any comfort to the elder man. He had tried again and again to free himself but only received a terrible shock that bent his body in ways that only excruciating pain could accomplish.

The man stared aimlessly at his unknown torturer in silence his soul begging to let the description of his vision to scream from his lips, but his will was strong and he wouldn't give the information lightly.
Suddenly, the man spoke shutting down the terminal for a moment which his victim cherished the moment of peace. The man walked towards his victim standing in the dark still but closes enough so that he could touch the old man’s withered face.
"Why do you persist in this Eskelas welp", asked the man his voice cold.
"Because I know your master treads in the dark, with the evil one", replied the Eskelas weakly.
"Are you so certain of your mystical beliefs that your willing to die for them heretic", replied the torturer.
"I will not betray my fellows", said the Eskelas defiantly.
The torturer began paced and replied," Your will is strong heretic. But, everyone has a breaking point".
Suddenly, a black crackling energy spewed towards the Eskelas shrouding the room in utter darkness. The old man shook violently in pain screaming louder than he had ever screamed before.
"You will tell me what I want to know", yelled the torturer. His voice wasn't the human one the old man heard moments before. It felt as if a thousand voices spoke at once all screaming to be free.
Finally, the old man was broken.
"Alright", the Eskelas screamed weeping," Just stop this pain".
Suddenly, the energy retreated back into the dark with the torturer and the shaft of light that shined upon the old man came back into the room.
The Eskelas spoke slowly in bursts weakly," I have seen the downfall of our Matriarch. He will be destroyed by"
The old man struggled to say the next words," A women who will wage a war against the Empire though unwillingly. But, she will not be alone. She will have an ally."
His torturer edged closer still in the dark but his face became more visible," Who is it".
The man stammered fear in his voice, “I don't know."
Then there was utter silence which only made the anxiety of fear worse for the Eskelas.
"Is that all", asked torturer inquisitive.
The man thought for a moment then realized something terrible, something that made him beg to die.
"I know there is more Eskelas and I will retrieve the rest one way or another", said the man stepping into the light.
"No", whispered the Eskelas staring up into his torturer’s face defeated," I have failed".
The man put a hand on the old man’s head and whispered into his ear," Not yet heretic you have only brought old truths to light. Once your heroes fail you fail."
Then the life that lay on the torture table was no more and a silent satisfaction creped in his torturer’s heart as he exited the chamber.
This was the beginning and the end was soon to come he thought.


The author's comments:
This is a new series I'm writing which is inspired by the Tribulation in the Bible.