Into the Forest | Teen Ink

Into the Forest

July 8, 2012
By WaldenReese BRONZE, Walker, Michigan
WaldenReese BRONZE, Walker, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Fear is temporary. Victory is forever.


In the dark depths of the forest lurks a beast so sinister, the name has been forbidden by many. It prowls the night, looking for its prey. Some say that its howl can be heard from miles away. Was that true? Kelly Carter was anxious to find out as she approached the towering trees.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Mitchel muttered under his breath, afraid to be heard by the monsters.

Mitchel was slightly shorter than Kelly with curly brown hair. He had been Kelly's friend since she was six, and she was thankful that he could be here tonight, despite the fact that he didn’t want Kelly to venture into the woods.

“I’m positive,” Kelly replied firmly. “I’ll show those kids at school who’s tough.”

And that was the real reason Kelly was there. She was fed up with the kids at school looking down on her. Sure she had Mitchel, but in Kelly’s mind, that just wasn’t enough.

Mitchel froze and gripped Kelly’s shoulders tightly causing her to stop walking. “I know. But you don’t have to do this!” He looked around nervously before continuing again. “The monsters in there won’t show you any mercy like the kids at school. Also I—” Mitchel swallowed hard. “I couldn’t stand it if anything happened to you.”

Kelly raised an eyebrow. “Huh. And you said you couldn’t care less if something were to happen.”

Mitchel might have blushed, but it was hard for Kelly to tell in the darkness. “I was mad, okay?”

Kelly nodded and continued towards the forest anyway. Mitchel groaned and stepped in front of her again.

“Kelly, please! I won’t let you go in there by yourself.”

Kelly rolled her eyes. Mitchel could be so stubborn sometimes. “What are you going to do about it? I know you’re afraid of the dark.”

“I—I’m coming with you.”

“Suit yourself then,” Kelly mumbled.

Once Mitchel moved out of Kelly’s way, she marched forward, trying not to think about what awaited her.


The author's comments:
This is only a draft, but if you guys like it, I will post more. Enjoy! :D