The Sick Power of a Writer

If I included myself in one of my stories, I would be the villian. And for once, the main character would lose the fight. How can one defeat someone who can, at will, change you, kill you off? I simply am too powerful.

For instance, is one character getting too strong? Would they make for a boring story with an obvious end? Change them. Better yet, trash them, forget that I ever thought of them.

Is the villians motives too convining? Make him the hero, instead.

Too funny? Add a tragedy to their early life. Too sad? Give them a sheltered life. Too smart? Find a reason for them to skip school for a few years. Too dumb? Throw in a parent with high expectations.

Like a tornado, I wizz through their world, tweeking and changing the fundamentals of who they are, what they know. It's like a game- Suit My Needs or Playing God.

I imagine what it would be like if I were to pit myself against one of my characters. Perhaps Sam- a super genius who controls fire. I would mentally pluck him from his story, (I probably won't finnish it, anyway.) and put him in a whole new situation. The plot seems obvious. He would discover my presence with the help of one of his inventions; a device that picks up on radiation. He would slowly deduct that I was there by peicing together clues I would leave for him, like mysterious telephone messages, or bookmarks in encyclopeidias. He would go bravely to my lair- an underground mansion, thinking that he could destroy this evil. Then I would toy with him, create some tension. Slowly, I would make him go insane. In the end, he would die of a cancer he never knew he had, in the liver, lets say, one that I had placed in him. I can see the last sentence now (from Sam's point of veiw-) "I closed my eyes, defeated for the first and only time."

Come to think of it, that would make a good story... look out, Sam! I'm coming for you.

ZephyrPunk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like your philosophy/the way you think. :)

DynamoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:10 am:
Random, this was random. I mean it was nice and well written and it provided food for thought, but Sam? Our dear Sam? For one thing, the game we writers play makes us the people who control the strings of puppets. Perhaps you should read Sophie's world, there is a chapter named "God is not a puppeteer". And I guess this is becoming pretty random. So let's face it. I am going to kill my dear character Jenoma. Following your stead^_^