The Golden Fruit | Teen Ink

The Golden Fruit

By cewqqq BRONZE, Pennington, New Jersey
cewqqq BRONZE, Pennington, New Jersey

"Love doesn't make the world go round. Love makes the ride worth while."

The golden fruit was discovered by two Dyrade nymphs, which lived in trees, forests, and groves. One day, they were exploring their secret island, Piña Isla, and found an enigmatic large fruit with thin skin and a tiny stem. After breaking it open, they were mystified by the golden, juicy, delicious inside. They giggled and fluttered around the island looking for more of the mysterious golden treasure. After discovering the seeds, they planted as many as they could find. The Dyrades promised each other that their discovery would remain secret amongst the two of them, so they could have an unlimited resource of the fruit.

One of the nymphs wanted special treatment. So, in the middle of the night, she took two pieces of the golden fruit and flew to Athens. In Athens, Demeter was intrigued by the vivacious nymph. After tasting the fruit, she ordered the nymph to bring as many seeds as she could carry to Athens.

When Greek gods tasted the fruit, they craved more and more. Demeter ordered for plantations to be made for the gods. Soon enough, the golden fruit was becoming wildly popular with Gods, mortals, and many mythological creatures. In fact, their golden fruits were equivalent to gold in today’s modern society. Aphrodite was often given the gift of the golden fruit by men who thought she was beautiful. Before all the Gods knew it, the quantity of golden fruit was getting smaller and smaller.

One night, to play a trick on the Gods, a group of mischievous Hobogoblins smashed and stole all the golden fruit they could get their hands on. That morning, the Gods, and mortals were shocked to see the sweetest and finest fruit destroyed. Demeter knew it the Hobgoblins had done the damage, for lots of plantations of agriculture were being destroyed by these creatures. Demeter needed to find some trace of the fruit, since it was the most valuable substance. He sent Heracles to defeat the Hobogoblins and demand for seeds.

Sure enough, after about a week, Heracles returned to Demeter and reported the destructive Hobogoblins were gone and had about ten seeds. Demeter put a curse on the seeds, so that whenever they grew, they would have a hard spiky outer shell and stem. Then, Demeter called back the dyrade nymphs and asked them to plant the seeds on a tropical volcano island chain where only a few people lived. This way, the fruits would be protected from greedy gods and mischievous creatures. The native island tribes renamed the fruit “pineapple” because it reminded them of the fruit they already had, but with a spiky outer shell.

This piece incorporates imaginative thinking and a little Greek mythology. I hope people will come away thinking that everything is not what it seems and become more curious about basic items around us, such as pineapples =).