Sanctuary | Teen Ink

Sanctuary

By WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other
WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other

If you keep writing, you will pick up structure. You will pick up form

- Richard Matheson

I tumble my way down the hill, landing straight down onto my face; my head hits me with a Bang!

Ouch! I stagger onto my feet and it seems the fall bent some parts of my iron head. The light inside me shakes; a small jolt of energy springs inside. I look to face clusters of buildings and houses, hidden under somber shadows. The town silently stands under a blanket of grey clouds. An abnormal wave of amethyst lights lingers above the town; all the mice, sneakily hiding under houses and gutters, squeak in fear. The two suns dimly shine through the light, giving off an iridescence that barely lights this fragile town.

On foot, I explore this vast, hopeless town, hoping to find someone. I search through the houses, peek through empty vases, and stroll down the lonely streets, only to find a ghost town. Many houses and buildings are falling apart, their doors shut tight, with no light coming from inside and the windows are boarded up or smashed to bits. I feel a strange force floating from the wave of lights and it is choking this town in its grip. That wave of amethyst seems so magnificent and majestic to watch. But, it feels as cold as that forgotten world I was born in.
The wind blows sheets of old newspapers and piles of ash. Rubble, rocks, and broken vase pieces are the only things filling the streets; along with the occasional street mice. Where are all the people? The town feels lonely. A town’s purpose is to foster and live with humans. Why is no one here? A chilling numbness runs down my back and I have no idea what is happening to me.

Pang!

Something hits my right elbow. I look to see who is there. Nothing.

Pang!

A rock almost hits my feet. What is going on?

Seconds later, a wave of pebbles pelts my hard metallic body. I see a group of kids jump out of the shadows, slingshots and rocks in hand. Scruffy little boys and girls, all covered in dirt and wearing tattered rags for their clothing. Why are they attacking me? I am not an enemy.

The orb of light inside my chest surrounds my body in a sparkling golden force field, repelling rocks that fly at me. All the children suddenly freeze, looking in astonishment and awe. The force field disappears and the orb shrinks back into a soft little light. The force field seems to have also weakened that wave of amethyst.

“Mighty fine weapon ya got there stranger,” a voice calls.

A young girl appears from the group of kids, hiding in the dimness of the clouds. She is the tallest child of the group and she carries this daze of amusement and curiosity. Her hair is a light shade of brown, tied, and braid down against her back with a blue ribbon. She wears a black parka and a silver “V” medallion hangs on her chest. Her leather boots are as large as my hands and she gives me this peculiar stare to take a better look at me. She reminds me of the girl – no – Maker. Only this girl has more freckles on her face and nose and a gap in between her teeth.

“Well what do we have here?” she says and grabs me under her arms. “A big ol’ robot walks into our town, makes some kind of mumble jumbo magic force field, to stir some trouble… Ain’t I right?”

I shake my head. She smiles and nudges my bucket head with great force. This girl is not like Maker at all.

“Ah shucks! Y’know I’m just kiddin’ right? I knew you was one of them Maker’s creations. What with that big ol’ head and that shiny light of yers. Me and Maker go all the way back.” She pauses for a few moments, dazedly staring into the sky; a nostalgic feeling hangs in her eyes. “… All the way back.”

She opens my chest and shows the kids my orb. It shines and floats brightly in the dark and the warmth it gives seems to enlighten the children. Their faces light up in excitement as my orb bounces around. They gather around me; their eyes curiously gaze at my light.

Suddenly, the ground rumbles. The whole world shakes. I look up and see the suns disappear in a coat of darkness. The wave of amethyst explodes into a roaring jet stream of a bright burning mauve and lavender fusion.

The girl shuts my chest and carries me off. She and the children head straight into an empty house. We hide under beds, cabinets, furniture, chairs, anything they could find. I see a sense of fear in their eyes and an impending thought of despair.

A loud roar echoes into the air. He is coming and something tells me he is dangerous. He is the one that chased me into the woods - barely making it out alive.

His large figure stomps onto the little houses of the town. He absorbs the dark light in a single gulp. His dark, shapeless body moves from side to side as he walks, looking for more to feast on. He is a dark enigma, an eerie creature who has this terrorizing aura around him; trying to take the spirit of this town.

He lets out a loud groan and starts to make his way toward the distance. After he leaves, part of the town is nothing more than a patch of bleakness. The fusion jet stream weakens back into a calm amethyst light. The children, the girl, and I come out from the house, only to observe the remains of the town.

“Good thing Maker made you in time,” she mutters. “C’mon. I know someone who’ll tell you more about her at the Hideaway. We best be going now… before “He” shows up again.”

I nod and join her and the rest of the kids down the gravel street. As we are walking, she faces me and grins. “By the way. I’m Ellis,” she says, “welcome to the town without a name.”

This story is dedicated to one of my favorite authors on Teen Ink, ShadowRealms. I'll be on a short hiatus until September, so I will be back. I'm still looking at other pieces of work on Teen Ink and you'll see more of my "Creation" series in the future. Thanks!

on Jul. 20 2012 at 8:41 am

- Richard Matheson

Excellent! (Mr.burns style) I'm making another sequel, but it'll probably be the last. But, that doesn't mean the story is over. I will probably post online in september, since I'm on hiatus, but thank you for reading my mini series so far.

on Jul. 20 2012 at 7:50 am
augustsun02 SILVER, Hamburg, New Jersey

Write. It doesn't matter if you're overjoyed, furious, miserable, or what. Write to keep those emotions in check while managing to grow stronger.

Great job, once again :) I am now curious to learn more about the Maker and whoever just ate all the darkness. I believe Ellis called the mysterious man "He." You must now absolutely make another sequel because I want to read more :)

ShadowRealms said...
on Jun. 23 2012 at 9:58 am
:D WSwilliams I love it:D It was sooooo sweet of you to dedicate this to me, I would have done that for you by now, as you are my absolute favorite author on here, but I've taken a break from Teen Ink recently because of work and drivers education class! All I have to say is wow. The imagery and detail blew me away, and I still want to know who this mysterious "Maker" is! I'll be following closely once more;) and now I'm going to write something for you!:D I love all your stuff and if you get published I would like to be the first to know:D congrats from your fan:D! You're awesome!