dangers of dark | Teen Ink

dangers of dark

April 29, 2012
By Anonymous

There is a reason why children are afraid of the dark. They know that they are most vulnerable for attacks because they lose one of their most valuable senses; their sight. Children also have a sixth sense, so to speak, to know that we are out here watching and waiting for openings in their defenses. Adults laugh at us and tell their children that we are fake, but the children know better.
However, they have a small detail wrong. The little ones believe that the full moon time is the only time we are allowed to roam this earth which something that I don’t want to change. The full moon reveals where we are which is why people are always saying that we only come out during the full moon. It never occurs to them that this is when we are most vulnerable; If people can see us they can harm us. Our biggest ally is the dark; our ability to creep through the night stalking our prey without being noticed until it is too late. The new moon is rising, the most powerful time. There is no light no way to know that we are coming.
Who are we you ask? Wouldn’t you like to know? We aren’t your ordinary vampires and werewolves. We are something completely different. Vampires you can stake. Werewolves you can shoot with silver bullets. But what can you do to something that is a part of you without harming yourself?
We are a part of each thing; haunting both the living and the nonliving. We are with the things we haunt since the day they are born and stay with them until the day they die. Parasitic we need them to survive. We live off their fear and their dark.
Though you can rarely realize we are there, we are always there collecting information about you learning your delights and fears. In the day you see us but aren’t afraid until the night comes and you realize our power. In the night we make your nightmares come to life, sneak into your mind, and feed off of your fear.The only way to get rid of us is to confront us at night but no one ever does. Children are too afraid and adults deceive themselves into thinking that we aren’t there.
The light is neither our friend nor our foe. It creates us but dulls our power.It reveals the dark in people. But the people aren’t scared until they are consumed by dark.
We are here. Always here and after this you will never look at us the same way. You will never be able to beat your shadow.