They... | Teen Ink

They...

March 23, 2012
By aspiring98 BRONZE, Hilo, Hawaii
aspiring98 BRONZE, Hilo, Hawaii
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war -- albert einstein


He hadn't wanted it to come to this, but he needed to sleep. He didn't wan to be some lab rat for them as they sat back and watched the effects. Scribbling in their little yellow notepads. What were they writing?
They wouldn't let him sleep. They kept projecting images into his brain. The most terrible images. why they did it? He didn't know.
He needed sleep.
He'd been in that blissful state between sleep and awake. Hard cruel reality and blissful simple subconscious. For months now.
Not only did he need the sleep, but also the points. So far he barely had enough to pay for his one bedroom apartment.
He sat in a gray waiting room, with outdated holo-mags on the small table floating next to him.
The globecom behind the desk, floated up, and said they were ready for him.
Who "they" were he didn't know. yet he knew it was "they" that was making it hard for him to sleep, unless he came for an experiment. He entered a white room, with a white chair in the center. Nothing else.
He was disappointed. He'd been expecting people in lab coats, scribbling on notepads.
A voice beeped on and told him to sit down on the chair in the middle of the room.
His palms were sweaty.
*beep* Sir we'll be with you in just a moment. Please relax.
Went the intercom voice again. He tried to relax. Yet the tension of waiting in that gray room must've gotten to him by then.
Because he swore, as his eyelids began to droop with the much needed sleep, he saw strange orbs fall into the room.

He closed his eyes, and never opened them again.
...
The men came in, wearing their clean blue diver suits. That covered their whole bodies.
They picked up the sleeping body and carried it away.
Out a door that was on the other side of the room. Never to be seen again.
The people behind the invisible glass, sat their comfortable chairs and watched the proceedings.
Then a small female voice spoke up. Curiosity dripping off every word.
"Why? What threat was he?"
A man sitting in the back with a white mask over his face replied immediately.
"He was a threat. He was trying to tell others of what we really do here at Tributed: Harold Evans Yolen. Also known to the public as; T.H.E.Y."

The author's comments:
this started out as somehing about a dude and he can't sleep so he tries this experimental sleeping drug. now it warped along the way... and now it's this.