Forgive Me | Teen Ink

Forgive Me

February 23, 2012
By Miss_Elise GOLD, Farmington, Minnesota
Miss_Elise GOLD, Farmington, Minnesota
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Aunt Linda?” Jerome clutched his aunt’s hand desperately. She had always been his favorite relative, and he wasn’t handling the accident well. He remembered the day of the accident. He happened to be in the shop across the street. He saw her start to cross the street. He saw the dark blue Tahoe knock her back, then sped away. Tears fell as he remembered calling 911 and sitting with her broken body. People stood around them, helpless. Though…he could have sworn his fiancée was among them. “But…she’s in Colorado…” he muttered to himself.

“Jerome!” He looked up at his aunts once sleeping face. A look of awe was carved into her features. “Jerome, look!” she pointed, “She BEAUTIFUL!” Aunt Linda’s voice was breathless.

“Aunt Linda, no one is there. Stay with me…” he begged, not wanting to look to where she was pointing. Even if someone was there, he didn’t want to see. But his aunts eyes followed whatever she was looking at to the space across from Jerome. There was someone there, a face he didn’t quite expect. Jerome stared awestruck at the woman before him. She didn’t look at him, acted as if he weren’t there at all, her focus completely enthralled on his aunt.

“Linda Ann Norris, I’ve come to relieve the pain…”

“The hell you are!” Jerome startled her, “What kind of sick joke is this, Marra?” she stared at him, one hand on his aunts hand, her engagement ring glittering in the hospital light.

“You…you can see me.” It was more of a statement than a question.

“Of course I can see you! This isn’t funny you know.”

“Of course Death isn’t funny. This is my job, though, and I need to take her.” That’s when he noticed the soft feathered wings drooping on her back.

“What…what are you?” he gasped. She frowned, her wings tucking tighter against her back. “Well? What are you?” he barked.

“What do you think?”her wings flared, expanding. They were definitely real. “Little did you know that every time you called me ‘Your Angel’ you couldn’t have been more right.” Both of her hands were now on his aunts arm.

Aunt Linda’s eyes were closed and she looked peaceful.

“What are you doing you witch?” Jerome gasped, his aunt, translucent, standing next to Marra.

“It’s time for her to go.”

“No, you can’t do this…” a sob catching in the back of his throat.

“She’ll be in a better place.”

“I will never forgive you for this!” he snapped. She froze, shocked. Hurt.

“Never…?”

“Never.”

“I can’t not do this!” She cried, “It is my purpose.” Marra grasped Aunt Linda’s arm, and lead her to the door. She paused, and turned back. “I don’t want to do this. I don’t want to hurt you… but I have no choice.”


“Fine.” He looked out the window, disgust clear on his face. “I never want to see you again…”

Her whole body drooped, “I’m sorry…”

She left, Aunt Linda’s body empty.






~

“I miss you.” Jerome sat at the base of her headstone. “I’m sorry…” He pressed his hand on the cold marble. “Marra..why…?” tears fell. “Why did you overdose on those pills?” he cried, the photos of her pale body sprawled on the disgusting cheap motel bed engraved in his head. “Why would you do that?”

“You said you’d never forgive me.”


The author's comments:
Inspired my a dream and life events. My first stab at a short story.