Promise | Teen Ink

Promise

By NathanMB BRONZE, Beckville, Texas
NathanMB BRONZE, Beckville, Texas

Do your best... until you collapse.

I crawled out of the hunk of metal. The crash site was filled with scars where flaming hunks of junk fell from the sky. I looked up and saw the remaining bits still in orbit. Also I saw the gas giant this moon orbits around. All around me were scrap metal and a lush forest. I walked from the crash into the forest.

Rays of sunlight lit under the leaves. The many different leaves surprised me. At the top were small leaves and under were broad, large leaves. “Is this like all rainforests?” All of the leaves were different shades of green, red, blue, and purple. Vines hung down and curled at the bottom. They brushed against me as I walked past. The vines were soft but almost seemed to grab at me.

Soon I realized that I was going upwards. The vines became scarce as the temperature lowered. The broad leaves also began to appear less. I saw a small bird try to get something out of a tree. He pecked a hole into the white bark, and golden syrup came through the hole. When the bird left with a mouthful of syrup, I touched it with my finger. It was sticky. I tasted the golden liquid, which was almost the same taste as honey.

I began to leave when I noticed the bird return for another mouthful. “It must be feeding its children.” I continued through the trees. The slope began to level out, so I turned right. I was hoping to find the crash site again from this angle.

As the trees thinned out, the sky became visible through the white trees. I found the cliff and the flames. Rain clouds were coming towards me. The cliff formed a crescent, with an endless sea of trees which ended sometimes with the scar of the ship crash. “I’m glad that ‘rain strip’ is coming. It would be a shame if the forests were burned to the ground.”

There was a lake maybe a mile away from the crash that I could use for my needs. I looked up at the sky and saw the ship. It didn’t move from its spot, so it must be moving with the planet. “I hope they don’t come down any time soon.” The shades of green, red, blue, and purple were beautiful until the ugly brown and black smoke interrupted. “So this is Promise… it is beautiful boss. I wish you could see it without getting burnt up along the way.”

Birds flew over the snowy mountains in the distance. Suddenly, rays of different colored lights lit up the world. So many different colors flashed and made the trees look like waves of colored water. It was the sun shining through the gas giant. “Hey God. When I die and if I go to Heaven, I want it to look just like this.”

This is my descriptive essay for my English class.