Just a Game | Teen Ink

Just a Game

By Alison Bingham BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia
Alison Bingham BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia

The phone rang. And rang. And rang.

The man growled irritably. His meeting was just about to start, but he needed to answer. It could have been important.

“Hello?”

“Dad!” his son said. He sounded relieved, “Oh, I’m so glad you picked up. This is really important.”

“It better be important,” the man growled, “I told you, son, I have a very important meeting today.”

“Oh, it is important, Dad! There’s a really scary monster. I think it’s a dragon.”

“Son, how many times have I told that there’s no such thing as monsters?!” the man snapped.

“I know you said that, Dad. But, seriously, there’s - ”

“I don’t mean from your stupid game, either! There’s no such thing as monsters, period! Your game is not real!”

“It’s not just a game, Dad.”

“Whatever you’re calling it, I don’t care. Besides, what else have I told you?”

“To only call in emergencies, yeah,” the boy answered, “But, Dad…”

“And what is an emergency, son…?” the man seethed.

“When someone’s gonna get hurt. I know. See, there’s...”

“Is someone going to get hurt, son?”

“Maybe. I mean…”

“I don’t mean from your stupid game, either!” the man snarled, “Is someone going to get hurt?”

“Maybe,” the boy said quietly.

“Son, I want you to get off your stupid game, and sit in your room. You could have disrupted my meeting over the stupid guy in your video game getting hurt. The monsters aren’t real. The people aren’t real. Never call me while I’m at work again!” the father fumed.

“It’s not just a game, Dad,” the boy said meekly.

“That’s it! We’re going to have a serious talk when we get home!”

With this, the father hung up. It was time for his meeting.

Hours later, he went home. As he pulled in the driveway, he noticed his son sitting on the porch, anxious and covered in something red, and a green and scaly… thing through the window.

His son perked upon noticing him, leapt up, and raced to him. “Oh, Dad! I’m so glad you’re home! You’ll never guess what I did today…”

I was inspired to write this from a dream I had. In the dream, I was fighting a monster. During this battle, I called my dad to tell him that I was fighting an evil, horrible creature, and it was clear that he didn't believe me. When I woke up, I wrote this story.

CLCN1 said...
on Jan. 14 2012 at 8:55 am
CLCN1, Winchester, Virginia

"Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Great story. Short and the point. I like how the emphasis isn't on the battle, but the relationship between the father and son. His game sort of reminded me of Zathura. Keep submitting.

tehNay said...
Needs more context. :V