Are You Dreaming? | Teen Ink

Are You Dreaming?

By basketball_chick SILVER, Hendersonville, North Carolina
basketball_chick SILVER, Hendersonville, North Carolina

“I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my spout.” Wearing a pink, purple, and yellow dress I am astonished that I am actually singing a child’s song. I look around at the cheering people crowded around the stage I am on. I skip a little closer to the edge to get a better view of my fans when suddenly I fall off the stage, and then I’m awake. “Oh phew, it was just a dream.” I say as I curl back up in my covers. Most all of us dream, whether we are dreaming while sleeping or daydreaming. We have different types of dreams; which include Scary Nightmares, Everyday Dreams, Creative Oddities, or Corny Lovetales.

Peaking out from behind the wall I see him. The man that was in my house and who had just killed my parents was standing only 5 feet away from the wall I was hiding behind. Megan, my sister, had run and hid in the trashcan that was directly in front of this madman. He had his weapons in his hand, darts. He paced back and forth, and my heart felt as if it would beat right out of my chest. I saw Megan lift her head up out of the trashcan, and then heard a scream! I withdrew from where I was watching to wait till the screaming stopped, and it did. When I stuck my head back around the wall all I saw was 13 darts protruding from Megan’s face and blood running down her soft pale skin.
I actually had this nightmare about a year ago and never have forgotten it. Nightmares are those dreams that you wish did not exist. The kinds of dreams that make you cry when you awaken. Nightmares have a reputation for making you sweat and your heart race like never before. These dreams are not one of my favorites. These dreams can be terrifying, gory, and/or depressing.

I lay my #2 lead pencil down on my doodle that I drew of Megan’s face with 13 darts coming out of it. Realizing that I had almost chewed all the way down to the lead I said a profanity in my head. I look up at the white clock that is hanging crooked on the wall and see that I still have an hour in British Literature. I just stare at the clock, the second hand moving slow… it’s moving way to slow. RING goes the bell . . . or is that my alarm clock?

Don’t you just love those boring dreams? Boring dreams are just a waste of our imagination. Going out on a limb here I am going to say that I would rather prefer to have a nightmare then a boring dream. In nightmares you at least have the chance of sweating and losing some calories, while boring dreams do absolutely nothing for you. These dreams are pointless, unimaginative, and uninteresting in any way, shape, or form.

RING!? No! That is not the bell or my alarm clock. It is coming from inside my head. I have just slammed into the side of a SUV. I look around to find where Duchess, my unicorn, is, but she is nowhere to be found. I decide that the only way that I am going to find her is if I go and ask the leprechauns who have finally found the end of the rainbow. I lay down money on the grassy path to make sure that I can find my way back. I feel this huge gust of wind and hear, “I told you I would huff, puff, and blow your house down!” I wonder what all of that is about but I need to find those leprechauns. I am getting tired of walking, so I strap on the magical fairy wings that I bought at the pawn shop a few days earlier. I take off and hear in the background, “I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky.”

The odd dreams are definitely the most interesting dreams. I love every single one of the odd dreams I have, although they are not as creative as the one I have described to you. Odd dreams can bring out the child in you. In these dreams, you can fly, you can shoot spider webs, you can breathe underwater, you can run faster than the speed of light, and you can teleport. There is no limit to what you can do in these dreams, which is why I love them so much. Odd dreams are creative, fun, interesting, imaginative, funny, weird, and/or supernatural.

I leap off the monkey bars into Humphrey’s muscular arms as he sings, “I believe you can fly, I believe you can touch the sky.” We race up to the slide and I yell out, “Never let go Humphrey!” as I lean off the side. “I’ll never let go”, he says while holding onto my waist with two fingers. We ride down the slide together as our matching sweaters rub up against each other. We start walking back to my car and Humphrey grabs my hand for the first time after dating him for over 3 years. My heart starts beating faster and I whisper to him, “I think my heart just skipped a beat.” We stare into each other’s eyes for 5 minutes straight, hand in hand. As the night comes to a close I walk Humphrey to his door. Reaching his door he turns to me and gives me a kiss on the cheek before giggling and running inside. I awake with butterflies in my stomach. Were those feelings I just had?!

A life is never truly complete without having a least one mushy, gushy love dream. Every once in a while these dreams are ok, but I could definitely not handle them every night. Love dreams can sometimes be more passionate than this, which is way more interesting. I like these dreams for one real reason, they make me smile. These dreams are romantic, funny, loving, caring, everything that I don’t show too often, and it makes me happy to know that I can be all those adjectives even if it is just happening in a dream.

Dreams make up our unconscious lives, filling our thoughts and minds with many different pictures. We experience so many different emotions from the dreams that we have every night. Imagine having to go to sleep every night and not dream about anything. It is unfathomable. Whether you are having a nightmare, a boring dream, an odd dream, or a love dream, we should be so thankful to God for giving us the gift of dreams and the imaginations we have to create each and every dream.