Manic Munchkins | Teen Ink

Manic Munchkins

December 8, 2011
By kathrenjh GOLD, Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota
kathrenjh GOLD, Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota
14 articles 0 photos 3 comments

The wind blew, hard through the trees of the rainbow covered land. The small men raced around screaming.

“She’s coming back! She’s back!” They rejoiced in a high pitched voices and cleared an area for landing. Big enough for a shack, it was. The group ran off to pick flowers, that is, all but three. The three stood around the clearing waiting to be the first to see her once again.

“I can’t wait!” Said the man wearing green.

“Neither can I!” Said the man in blue.
Suddenly, before the third little man, in red, could speak, the wind blew with all its strength. The three men were lifted into the air and swirled in a circle. The yellow brick road below them, stretching all the way to Emerald City. Around and around they spun. Dust flew by blinding their sight.

No more than a few seconds passed by when the wind subsided and plopped them right in the middle of a field. Clouds cleared the sky leaving it blue and immaculate. The man in red stood up and brushed his shorts off. He growled and his smile curled at the edges. His eyebrows pinned to an angry expression like that of the Grinch when he plots to get rid of Christmas. His voice was nothing but a low growl.
“We, the munchkins of the lollipop guild, should stick together to make our way back to OZ.”
The blue man rose and chuckled, “I feel very peckish. Perhaps we should explore our new discovery for some grub?” The one in green stood and nodded. So, off they went to find food in the new land.
An elderly woman had seen all the commotion and rushed out of her small wooden shack.
“My dears,” she said in a southern accent, “why, are yew okay? That tornado was awfully frightenin’.” The red munchkin grinned and began to speak when he was interrupted by the green one.
“Why, madam, we represent the lollipop guild and are quite hungry would you mind having us in for a snack?”
“Why of course not, you poor boys.” They entered the small brown shack. The woman brushed a thin layer of dust from her counter. “I haven’t had company in awhile, please forgive the mess, boys.”
“It is quite fine,” the red munchkin frowned, “but we are not boys. We are men.”
“Oh, but you are so little!?” The blue munchkin took offense and snarled toward the lanky woman. “Is this one okay?” She backed up pointing at the approaching dwarf.
“He is just hungry,” All the munchkins smiled and flashed their white, pointed teeth at the woman, “and so are we.” With that, the green munchkin lunged forward and bit the bony woman on the forearm. She screamed in terror and pulled away, the munchkin tearing flesh from her arm. Tears streamed down the woman’s face.
“Get away from me! Get away!” She backed into the sea-foam green counter behind her. The green munchkin lunged again, this time aiming for her thigh. She grabbed a heavy pan from her stove and swung it towards him. She hit him in the head knocking him off of her and onto the floor. The munchkin grabbed his forehead and stood back up. When he removed his hand, a huge gash was gushing blood from his left temple. The other two munchkins narrowed in and grabbed each of her arms as the bleeding, green munchkin bit into the swell of her stomach. The woman screamed in terror. Within seconds it was silent and the growls of the cannibalistic munchkins slowed. All that was left of the woman was a pile of dry bones.
“Let’s go find Dorothy!” The munchkins walked past a moving picture box on the way out of the shack.
“Welcome back to Kansas News at 9!”
“Well,” the blue munchkin said, “I guess we are in the right place to start.” The three went out and went towards the next rustic shack. They knocked on the door and it screeched open. A fat elderly man was standing in the entrance.
“Boy! What happened to dat der head of yers?”
“I am not a boy! I am full grown!” The green munchkin growled and lunged, once again, at his harasser.
“Feast again!” The red munchkin winked at the blue munchkin. They, too, attacked the man and pushed him inside, slamming the door in the process. Muffled screams could be heard from behind the closed door but alas, no one was within earshot.
The munchkins left the home, clothes bloodied, and continued walking down the street. Then they saw her.
“Dorothy!”
“Munchkins! Why, heavens, you all are a mess! What have you been doing!?”
“Feasting!” They smiled greedily, showing their bloodied, spiked teeth.
“Why on earth are y’all like this? You never tried to eat me!”
“We thought you were too thin. That’s why we gave you the lollipop to eat.” Dorothy screamed and ran back to her home. The munchkins scurried along behind her, gaining speed. Dorothy shut the door behind her and leaned against it as the munchkins attempted to knock it down. Her eyes darted around the room spying for a weapon. Finally, there it was, mounted perfectly on the wall directly in front of her was a shotgun.


The author's comments:
The assignment in composition was to write a B- paper... I think I was successful. This is a continuation of "The Wizard of Oz" movie. It is quite gruesome.