The World In Ruins: From The Eyes Of a Young Girl

Part 1

“Darnit.” I cursed under my breath as I started rubbing my eyes again. This sand always seemed to target my eyes. Then Julia gave me something to whine about. She back handed me across the cheek. “Don't curse!” So sure of herself, Julia was. Even in this shitty world, she still seemed to care about manners and being lady like. My hand flew to my cheek. It had already turned red. I looked up to Julia in my usual puppy dog eyes. “Don't look at me like that, Becca.” I didn't stop. Just for a little more sympathy, I quivered my lip a little. “Oh gosh Becca. I'm sorry. Just watch your language.” She smiled and put her hand on the back of my head. I felt it fall through my long, brown hair. Even with the world in this condition, somehow me and Julia managed to stay in great shape. Mine and her hair both long and flowing. My eyes are the same shining green. And Julia's are the same dirt brown. We look nothing alike. Sometimes I think we aren't even sisters.

“Julia, how did the world become like this?” My eyes stung as I looked around. Months ago I remember this place being nice and lush. It was Sylva's local park. It used to be full of happy children. Loving families. Running dogs. Now all I saw was brown grass. Chared remains of a small slide. Ash flew threw the wind. Sometimes when I inhaled, I wondered who I just breathed in. “Becca, I tell you all the time.” She sighed, staring at me with that usual expression she gives. The one that tells me she's sad. “IT happened, Becca. I don't know what IT is, or why it happened. But I know the world has turned to s***. And there's nothing we can do about it.” She saw my confused look. Obviously she doesn't care. “C'mon Becca. Those freaks will be here any moment.” Julia shoved a pipe in my hand. Did she think I'd kill those cannibals? I probably would. If need be.

Ok I should probably inform you what happened exactly. A few months ago, something happened. Nobody saw it happen. It just did. Before we knew it, trees were on fire and the looting had begun. The world became in ruins within hours. Food grew scarce in a few days. Some turned to cannibalism. Some committed suicide. We watched a man shoot his baby boy, his wife, and himself. All because they had no food. This is the world we lived in now. We were running from the cannibals. Trying to reach Canada. We heard Canada was untouched by whatever this was.

Matice said...

You did a good job. It flowed nicely.

Please take a look at some of my work if you have time. :)

Megan15 said...
This is a nice story! I hope you continue to write! I would love to hear more from you! keep it up!