Light | Teen Ink

Light

By TheLittleMergirl7 SILVER, Des Moines, Iowa
TheLittleMergirl7 SILVER, Des Moines, Iowa

Got it memorized?
Children gotta be free to lead their own lives
Are people born Wicked? Or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?
Now wait just a clock tick!

I rested my back on a trunk of a large willow tree, listening to the rustle of the dead leaves skittering across the ground. I have finally found a safe place to rest. I can tell you that being on the run is not so fun. Who am I running from? More like WHAT. I’m running from the darkness. I’m not normal, not normal, no siree not normal. You see, I have something that the darkness wants. I don’t know what it is, otherwise I would have given it up long ago. I shut my eyes for a moment, just for one moment of peace. When my eyes open once more, it has started to rain, and I have no clue as to how long I was asleep. An ominous feeling invades the air, making me jumpy and nervous. It is the darkness. It’s back. This is always how it starts, this feeling, until slowly, everything grows dark. I knew what needed to happen. I took a deep breath, jumped up, and ran. I swear, I must have some type of tracking device on me, I don’t know how else it could find me. I ran until the sky lost the darkness it had obtained, and became bright and sunny. I continue on, this time walking, to ease my sore limbs. I happened across a stream, and kneel down to get a drink. I splashed a bit of the icy water up onto my face, shivering at the shock. My stomach grumbled, I hadn’t had a real meal in ages. Standing, I shoved that thought to the back of my mind. I continued to walk forward, keeping my distance from my fate.

“Do you know why the darkness wants you, only you?” a voice from behind me asked.

I screamed, loudly, not a smart choice on my part. I was grabbed at the forearm, and roughly turned around.

“Of course you do,” He said, “Who wouldn’t?”

“Let go!” I yelled.

“As you wish,” the voice replied, “Go ahead and wonder.”

I looked into the face of my captor, seeing a boy of about eighteen, who was much taller than I. His dark eyes stared into my turquoise ones. I remain silent, this guy wasn’t getting one word out of me. As I was plotting an escape route, he speaks again.

“You are light” he murmurs.

This is my first piece submitted to Teen Ink. I hope that those who read it, enjoy it.

Got it memorized?
Now wait just a clock tick!

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Got it memorized?
Now wait just a clock tick!

I had written it longer in my first draft, and I thought it was too long! I'll remember to keep it longer next time. Thanks for the feedback! :)

on Nov. 30 2011 at 9:00 am
Rina-with-a-k SILVER, Fayetteville, North Carolina

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

This seems like it could start a novel. It's good, though I agree with the other comment: it went really fast.

abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

Good ending, but I feel like the story went too fast.