Unidentified | Teen Ink

Unidentified

November 7, 2011
By greatfriendsinger4 GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska
greatfriendsinger4 GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska
10 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Every night I hand my worries over to God. He is going to be up all night anyway.


I had the story, bit by bit, from various people, and, as generally happens to such cases, each time it was a different story. It was a warm September day and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves outside. I, though, happened to be sleeping soundly on my living room couch so I wasn’t enjoying the wonderful weather we ‘so called’ had. While I was asleep everyone was outside either riding their bikes, walking their dogs, or running.
Now some, like my neighbor across the street Lucy, said a flash of lightning came out of nowhere in the sky. Others say they saw a bright light coming toward to the ground. Whatever it was it got everyone’s attention.
Old Fred, our next-door neighbor claims, “It was like a bright light, like God was coming for Final Judgment. I soon realized it was coming fast so I ran inside for shelter. When I got inside the ground shook and knocked me down to the ground. I reached for my cane but then a shot of gunfire rang in my head and I curled up in a ball plugging my ears. Then the most horrifying thing ever came to my window.” He dare not continue for it was so horrifying, he about had a heart attack just thinking about it.
Lucy’s story, like the others, was a little different. She says a woman first saw it while running in the street.
The woman’s first reaction was, “It’s a bird!”
Someone corrected her, “It’s a plane!”
“No, it’s a bird.”
“It’s a plane.”
“Bird!”
“Plane!”
“Bird!!”
While they continued arguing, the thing falling in the sky was quickly approaching. The woman noticed this. Her jaw dropped like an atom bomb hitting Hiroshima. She screamed, her eyes bulging out of her head. Then she ran inside and crawled into her basement.
“I was like a meteor falling out the sky, as bright as a star. It approached as I stood outside and BAM!” “It flew right over my head and I fell to the ground.”
These are some of the stories that were coming out of the locals’ mouths.
Then there was one lady who just couldn’t stop talking.
“ I knew it, I knew it HAHA,” she laughed hysterically.
“They, they came, I saw it, saw it with my own EYES!” She pointed up in the sky. Her eyes were full of anxiety and her hair looked as if she had just woke up. I thought she was one crazy lady. Then the endings to all the stories were pretty much the same: the ground shook like it was a level five earthquake and then everyone ran inside, fell to the ground, or, according to Lucy, died.
Old Fred, after he recovered from his frightening experience, came outside of his house and, shortly after, started telling people his sightings. I overheard him tell someone once, “It was huge, and extremely tall. I had an eye like a Cyclops in the middle of its’ forehead and was slimy all over…
He licked my window,” he shouted as the person walked away, being a nonbeliever.
Hours after the ‘incident’ I walked to my house from the neighbors to see something peculiar in my backyard.
“What is that?” I thought cautiously.
I leaned to my side and saw a piece of metal sitting in the grass like it had been set on fire. I causal walked to my backyard, acting like I saw nothing, then glanced at my backyard. There was a giant hole, the size of a nuclear bomb, in our yard. My jaw dropped and fell into the grass.
The grass around looked as if it had been set on fire. The play set was still intact with its set of swings, slide and little tree house made of oak but the only tree in the backyard had fallen and sat there like it had been there for quite some time. It, too, looked as if it had been set on fire like the ring of grass surrounding the totally conspicuous hole sitting in our backyard. Everything just sat there perfectly, with the exception of the tree and the gaping crater in the middle of the yard.
Holy Moly.
A UFO had crashed in my backyard and I hoped it would be the last.


The author's comments:
This is a short fiction piece I wrote for school. It is Sci/Fi but anyone would enjoy it.