Lightning Strike | Teen Ink

Lightning Strike

October 30, 2011
By Lily24 BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
Lily24 BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss


It was a very dreary day. Rain poured down from the dark gray clouds that covered the sky. Thunder rumbled and lightning would flash, lighting the sky. The streets were flooded with water. The few unlucky people caught in the rain hurried by with umbrellas and coats over their heads, to stop some of the water.
Jenny could see all this just by looking out her window. Since it was Saturday, she was at home with nothing to do instead of at school. Jenny actually would have rather be at school, then she could at least be with her friends. She would put up with her evil geometry teacher just to get out of the house.

Well, she could get out of the house. Her parents were at work, so they couldn’t tell her what she couldn’t do. With that thought in her head, Jenny grabbed her coat and went outside.

The rain poured down from the sky onto her head. Within seconds, her hair and coat were soaked and dripping with water. Jenny didn’t care. Her mind was elsewhere. Her feet guided her down the street, not caring where they went.

When Jenny finally focused, she realized she had no idea where she was. She had just let her feet lead her without a thought. Now she was at the end of a street. Jenny looked around, trying to find something familiar. Nothing was. Though she did see something interesting. Beyond the street was a simple little park. Near the other side was a playground. It was a simple one. Slide, swings and a big climbing structure.

Jenny smiled. She always loved the climbing things. She loved being on top and looking down, feeling as if she was the ruler of it all. Without a thought, she had begun climbing up. A few minutes later, she sat on top. Jenny could see all of the park. She felt powerful and strong.

“I’m queen of the WORLD!!!” Jenny yelled and started laughing. For a split second she saw a flash then she was falling slowly to the ground below…


Blackness all around. No color or shapes. Just black. Maybe it was because her eyes were closed.

With an effort, Jenny slowly opened her eyes. An unfamiliar room swam into view. A strange really clean room. Jenny lay on a bed with medical machines surrounding her. Tubes and needles were attached to her all over her body.

Where was she? What happened? How did she get here? Questions flowed into her head. What were these machines? They looked like the ones in a hospital. Why would she be there? She felt fine.

Jenny climbed out of bed pulling out all the tubes and needles. She felt fine, actually stronger than she used to be. With lots of thoughts crowding her head, Jenny walked out the door.

She was in a clean simple hallway that led to others. Jenny began walking. Halfway down the hallway, she was meet by a group of people dressed as doctors. When they saw her, they started and gasped in shock.

“Where am I? What happened to me? Who are you? Answer me!” Jenny shouted at the doctors.

They continued to stare until one came forward to answer. A simple middle aged man.
“You are at St. Margaret’s Hospital. We are doctors that work here. What happened was that you were struck by lightning. You were found in a nearby park by a witness. They saw you climb and get hit.” He stopped, then started again “ You shouldn’t be alive or even moving. You should be in a coma or dead, not walking around in perfect condition!”

“Well I’m going home” replied Jenny, walking past them.

“NO!” shouted the doctor “We need to run tests!”

“Bye” said Jenny leaving. One of the other doctors moved to block her. She lashed out at the doctor. The doctor went flying into the wall with a huge THUMP. The rest stared and moved out of the way as if she had the plague. Jenny walked out into the parking lot and began running.

Only when Jenny was far away did she start to think. How did she do that? A fourteen year old girl had, with a single blow, thrown a full grown man into a wall. How? She glanced at her arm. It wasn’t bruised. Surely there would be one after what she did.

Then she felt it. Power running through her body. Strength filled her arms and legs. The lightning had given her power. When you had power you could do more of what you want. With enough of it, anyone could rule the world. Jenny smiled. Let the fun begin!