If only | Teen Ink

If only

By Sambee GOLD, Frederick, Maryland
Sambee GOLD, Frederick, Maryland

A woman is the only thing I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me. -Abraham Lincoln

I watched my family from the back corner where my bloody body lays, under me. My life was always normal until now. Julie pulls her younger brother close, tears streaming down her face as she looks down at my body. Yes, that’s right I’m dead, and I am not enjoying it. I’ve been standing here for hours waiting for them to get home, my family and now I regret it. Now they have to see me in this state, dead. My wife cries and falls to the floor, she wails, no one thinks of calling the police at least not yet. Julie is the first to realize that this must be done. She runs and calls the police, I can hear her from the kitchen, “the police, send something something! I think he’s dead….. No one was home but him….. No the door only opens from two keys which my mom and dad have….. Just send someone over!..... Thank you,” she says and then hangs up. She slowly comes back in, I look down, my wife and son are huddled on the floor by the entrance to the living room. I wish there was something I could do something that I could do to comfort my family. I could remember how happy we were….

“Daddy! Daddy! Where are you?” Julie called she was only five when her brother was born and it was his first birthday. “We’re about to open presents, come on,” she said as she turneed the corner where I stood cell phone in hand. I had a call from the office and had to take it. “No, I cannot come in I took the day off,” I said then closed the phone before my secretary could say otherwise. I squatted and openeed my arms, welcoming her into a hug, my phone began to ring again, and I quickly turneed it off. “Come on, daddy,” Julie said, pulling on my arm. I followed her into the living room where Max, my son sat on the floor pillow supporting him, my wife, Julia sat next to him and a giant pile of presents next to her. My two sisters and brother sat on the couch across from them, “He’s just so adorable!” squeakled my sister, Rebecca. “I know right I couldn’t help but buy him a gazillion gifts,” My other sister, Miley said, exaggerating as always. My brother laughed at the both of them. Julia’s mom and dad also laughed, it was a small get-together, but a happy one all the same. As we began opening presents the memory faded…

With that memory comes another but this one isn’t as happy, I had gotten into a fight with my boss just yesterday he was always such a ego maniac…..

“Sir you wanted to talk to me?” I asked my bus, he turneed in his seat, “Yes, yes take a seat,” he motioneed to the seat across from him and as I sat he talked, “You see you one of the best employees,”

“Thank you, sir,” I said

“So I would like to show my boss why we should not promote you,” He said, my jaw dropped, “You don’t understand your promotion would be my job and don’t you think things are good as they are, me being your extremely handsome boss, and you being my employee, of course you want to know what’s in it for you well, I’ll move my retirement date up two months, and you can have my job guaranteed I will even recommend you, okay is that a deal?”

I didn’t say anything but just stood and walked away, “Are you saying no, but if you say no you’ll get fired remember I’m still your boss,” I stopped and turneed, “You know what you call me on days I’m off, schedule me to go on business trips with you without mmy consent, you are the worst boss in the world and yet, you want me to…. I can’t even say it, the answer is no,” with that I turneed and walked away. “Well, your FIRED! You here me!” he screamed. I looked back at my now red faced boss and shrugged….

I had never told anyone that I had lost my job, only my neighbor Joey knew and that was only because he saw me come home early, looking angry. Then I had spilled it all to him. Now as police flooded the house, medics coming over to me, no to my body. They began pumping at my chest and checking for breath, as if it meant anything, there was a bullet through my head anyone could tell how I died. “He’s dead,” said one of the medics, well yeah. This allowed me to remember how much my boss had hated me for that and made me remember that dark figure that came through the door and shoved me saying words I did not understand, I didn’t want to remember, but yet I couldn’t stop, the man shoved me against the back wall, he had a bottle in one hand, he said more , yet I couldn’t hear. He pulled something from his pocket, there was a bang and then I was falling to the floor. I died then, things went black, and I saw no more.

The police have taken my body away. I’m alone now, my wife and children are outside talking to the police. I looked down, I was fading things were getting brighter, I guess it’s time for me to go. I hope I go to heaven and am able to watch for my family, I wanted to be there for Julie’s wedding. Now I couldn’t because of that man. If only I could go back to yesterday and tell them all that I loved them if only… if only….

This is what I imagen a dead person to feel and remeber after he's dead not before I hope you will/did enjoy

Sambee GOLD said...
on Oct. 21 2011 at 6:59 am
Sambee GOLD, Frederick, Maryland

Why thank you my work always has a creepy sensation to it its my speciality

on Oct. 20 2011 at 8:32 am
KJAngelAuthor SILVER, Holland, Michigan

With understanding comes wisdom.

This is "muy interesante"!!!