The Light Returned | Teen Ink

The Light Returned

August 12, 2011
By Glyde BRONZE, LOS ANGELES, California
Glyde BRONZE, LOS ANGELES, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Exactly 19,930,214 light-years directly above the Milky Way Galaxy is the Amos Nebula, a collection of many different stars, from white dwarves to Red Giants, some of which who has their own solar systems, while others don’t. From a distance these stars form a scarlet cloud shaped much like a human heart. It is here that this story takes place.

A particular White Dwarf, being rather small and petite was often manipulated by other stars’ gravity and was pushed around a lot as a result. For a long time, it searched the galaxy for a star that would permanently take him into its orbit, 4 million years to be exact. Moving around in the galaxy, he found a few stars that would occasionally invite the White Dwarf into orbit to stick around. But like always, he never stayed long because the stars had to make room for planets. But even so, grateful for the company and the time, he always left a little brighter than before.

On a certain millennia, while he was in the orbit of a Red Giant, he inquired about what was in the center of the galaxy. It had come to the attention of the White Dwarf that near the center of the galaxy, there were almost no stars, and those that were disappeared within the next hundred millennia or so. With fear, the Red Giant answered that in the center of the Amos Galaxy is a Black Hole by the name of Kuros.

With a natural curiosity, he asked in return about what made him so feared. The Red Giant gave off a few shudders as it answered that Kuros had gravity more powerful than the biggest of stars, such that even light couldn’t escape its grasps. However, before he could any more questions, the Red Giant repeled him out of his orbit.

For the next few millennia, the White Dwarf wandered from orbit to orbit asking around about this Black hole named Kuros. While in orbit of each other, he discovered something from a Red Dwarf; he discovered that Kuros was once one of the biggest stars around, brighter than any other star within light-years: a Supergiant. However, one millennia, after one of its biggest shines, he went supernova and almost lost all of its brightness. In an attempt to retain his former glory, he tried to bring it all back to him by strengthening his gravity. Unfortunately, he tried too hard and as a result ended up swallowing up his own light as well as the light of those around him. Soon enough, what was once the brightest star in the center of the Nebula became the Blackest of Holes in the center of the Amos Nebula.

The White Dwarf listened quietly taking in all the information. He became more and more curious about Kuros and decided to see him at least, if he couldn’t meet him. For the next few millennia, he changed his direction and started his way towards the center of the nebula, riding on the gravity of other big stars around him. And on the way there, he asked to all the stars around him about Kuros. From a Yellow Main Sequence Star, he learned that big stars are pulled in more greedily by Kuros’ gravity. From a Blue Dwarf, he learned that smaller stars were able to escape his gravity, if they weren’t too close, because he didn’t pull as hard on the smaller stars because of the little amount of light they had to offer. From another Supergiant, he learned that while Kuros sucks in light, there are occasional times when he will give a big burst of light and energy in what’s known as a Magilla, which was supposed to be one of the most spectacular, magnificent, and beautiful things to see.

The White Dwarf became more and more interested about this Black Hole and was now more determined than ever. He never told anyone, however, and kept it to himself. He passed Solar Systems, Twin Stars, Main Sequence Stars, until he got to a place where the stars were rather thin. He harbored in orbit with a Red Giant to ask him directions. The Red Giant only strained an answer as he said he was trying not to get sucked into Kuros’s gravity.

This answer made the White Dwarf excited and he went where the stars got smaller and thinner until there was almost nothing around him. He didn’t feel any sort of gravity yet but knew he was close. And so he crept slowly towards the emptiness. He had been looking for Kuros for a long time, but wasn’t able to find him. He was just about to give up when a soft voice told him not to come any closer.

He looked around but couldn’t tell where the voice was coming from and just continued to drift forward. Again, a soft voice told him to go away. By now, he felt the slight pull of gravity and went towards it. The voice, louder this time, told him that any closer and he wouldn’t be able to escape the pull of gravity. This time, the White Dwarf obeyed and started pulling in the opposite direction to prevent being sucked in.

The White Dwarf asked whether he was Kuros. The Black Hole seemed reluctant to answer before he said that he was indeed Kuros. The White Dwarf introduced himself as Shiros and mentioned how glad he was to have finally met him. Kuros was confused because it was the first time that a star had said he was glad to meet him; usually, people tried to pull away the moment they felt his gravity, but this White Dwarf was different.

Shiros still looked around for Kuros but was unable to see him, until he got an idea. He started to shed some of his light so that he could see where the light would go. His eyes followed the light as it swirled and disappeared into a dark circle. For a while, it was quiet for a while as Shiros stared at his light reaching Kuros and then disappearing. It was certainly a beautiful sight.

Out of the dim brightness, Shiros heard the light weeping of Kuros. Concerned, he asked him if he was alright. Kuros only answered in a shaky voice that it had been too long of a time since he felt any light. He explained that for the past couple hundred millennia, he was void of light and was lost among the darkness of space until today, where a small White Dwarf offered what little light it gave off to make him visible.

Without saying a word, Shiros made his mind up to never stop giving light to Kuros. For the first time since their existence, Shiros felt needed and Kuros felt wanted, but they kept that from each other. Shiros gave him that light, and Kuros took it in for all it was worth before disappearing into nothingness.

But there was at times when even Kuros told Shiros to go away so that he could be alone in the dark. Shiros only went a few million miles back, while continuing to feed him that light. Kuros only complained but did nothing about it. It made Shiros sad that Kuros wanted to be alone in the dark, where no one could see him. And so, even though he did feel unwanted and dejected, and even hated at times, he still stayed within distance to feed him that light.

One millennia, Shiros woke up to Kuros’s talk. It was said very quietly but the White Dwarf heard every word. It was a word of thanks, for staying with him all these years, for always giving him light, however small and relatively short-lasting it was, and for finding and making him his friend.

As he said this, he gave a Magilla so bright, powerful, and spectacular, that the little White Dwarf was almost blown away and he himself actually became brighter. To him, the wait was all worth it. The light that he had been feeding him became returned in a manner so great that he didn’t want to leave Kuros, ever. He resolved to stay with him no matter what.

For a long time after that, Shiros never left his side. Though it saddened him from time to time when Kuros pushed him away, he never stopped shedding light into the Black Hole. And every so often Kuros would give off a brilliant Magilla that the White Dwarf was so fond of.

However, it came to the White Dwarf’s notice that it had been a while since the last Magilla and Kuros was being more negative than usual. He asked what was wrong but got no answer in reply. Shiros didn’t ask again but just kept giving him his light. Finally the Black Hole said something that Shiros never thought would hear: the words of dismissal.

For some time, the White Dwarf didn’t know what to do. He didn’t want to leave the Black Hole, in fear that he may never find it again, or in fear that he would be forgotten. At the same time he knew that staying would hurt both of them, because he too was going to eventually run out of light and become swallowed up by Kuros’s gravity.

Although Shiros wanted to stay, he knew he had to leave for the time being. However, he swore that he would come back. The white dwarf said his final good-byes and pulled himself away from the Black Hole’s gravity and went back into the populated Nebula. As he was leaving Kuros didn’t say one word, but only looked back once he was out of sight.

Fourteen Millennia was the amount of time of leave agreed upon by the two. For Fourteen Millennia the White dwarf wandered from solar system to solar system where he would only stay long enough to change directions and then continue on. For those Fourteen Millennia his thought kept returning to the center of the Amos Nebula where he feared he wouldn’t be able to find Kuros. For Seven Millennia, he traveled away and for the next Seven he traveled back.

It was nearing the end Thirteenth Millennia and Shiros was almost back to the center. In joy and excitement he drifted back to the center. However, as he drifted towards the center, the star didn’t began to thin out; instead, it actually became rather dense. He asked the other stars around him whether he was really at the center of the galaxy to which all reply that he was there.

Not believing them, the White Dwarf went in search for where the stars became thin and where Kuros had been. It was already past the Fourteenth Millennia and Shiros began to panic. He didn’t want to be apart from the Black Hole that he came to love. But, however long he searched, it seemed like that empty space vanished. Starting to lose hope, he drifted aimlessly, sobbing until he came to a Supergiant he never saw before.

The Supergiant asked the little White Dwarf what was wrong, who answered that he couldn’t find his friend. Interested, the Supergiant asked him about his friend, to whom Shiros gave a rather full account. He asked after he finished whether he knew what happened to him.

The Supergiant only chuckled and didn’t answer his question. Shiros didn’t understand and so tried to leave so he could find him. Before he could leave, the Supergiant pulled on him and the two stars began to spin in permanent orbit of each other. Infuriated, the White Dwarf asked why he would do such a thing.

The Supergiant only answered that his search was over and that he was Kuros. For a moment, the White Dwarf was spellbound by those words but soon found contempt as he figured that the Supergiant was trying to prevent him from searching a lost cause. He explained to the Supergiant that Kuros was not a lost cause, that he just needed someone to give him light, and that he wouldn’t give up until he finds Kuros again.

Again the Supergiant chuckled but this time explained that when Shiros left, Kuros began to see what he had done to the only source of light he ever had. And so, with all the light that was given to him so far, Kuros mustered one last Magilla and with it, collapsed the black hole and a whole mass of stars were born, and the biggest of those stars was Kuros. And now the two were going to be in permanent orbit of each other.

When he heard this, Shiros became overwhelmed with joy, glad that after all this time he spent alone, he was going to spend the rest of their existence in orbit of each other, basking in each other’s light. The wait was worth it, his patience paid off. Now, they were going to dance together, in each other’s orbit, forever, in the center of the Amos Nebula, “I’ll be with you forever, I hope we’ll always be best friends.”

“Don’t be stupid, we already were.”

The author's comments:
Based on true events. I'm sure many people can relate to this story, as can I. For those who are searching for that one star in the Amos Nebula with whom you could share orbits with, I hope for you the best of luck.