Golden Showers | Teen Ink

Golden Showers

August 1, 2011
By lapisleaves DIAMOND, Durham, New Hampshire
lapisleaves DIAMOND, Durham, New Hampshire
52 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"...I wish none of this had happened." "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."


Golden showers come raining down, sweet and warm. They cling to her skin, shimmering on her eyelashes and dancing in her hair. And she laughs, clear and beautiful. She dances, her feet light steps on the Earth’s face. The Earth smiles as she dances, and her dimples form barrows and glens, the wrinkles around her eyes crinkling into little rivers. She is in love with life, with living, with breathing, seeing, hearing. She cups the water, the golden showers in her palms and drinks, the trickles pouring from her hands as she does. She brings handfuls of Earth to her face and inhales, laughs, cries. The fresh air is clean, the good Earth is rich, her fruits are plenty and round, blushing juice and soft skin. She reaches for the child, the baby, hugs her to her breasts, raises her to the sky, stepping, spinning. The child’s soft mouth makes a lovely, happy smile and she coos. Flowers and green blooms crown her head, golden showers christen her, silver slumbers are her sleep. The skies are pearl, gray as a warm round womb burgeoning with life. All falls around she, her, and the Earth. The child coos, gurgles, sweet brightness in her eyes. She laughs. She sings. Pride is from her. Joy is her. Love is not and always is enough and more, for ever and always. It is an eternity of music, of absolute, highest ecstasy. An unending existence of golden showers.


The author's comments:
There are three key figures here: The woman, usually referred to as 'she', the Earth, and the baby girl, usually referred to as 'her', introduced near the end. It can get confusing, but I hope it is not so much so. The thought trigger for this was the song sung by Josh Groban called 'Remember when it Rains', with some inspiration from The Beatles' song, 'Golden Slumbers'.