Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Aug. 6 2017 at 11:48 am
wordcalamity BRONZE, Potomac, Maryland

"I would challenge you to a battle of the wits, but I see you are unarmed." -William Shakespeare

Wow, this is such a creative concept and I daresay the aliens' plans are coming true...

on May. 12 2017 at 5:24 pm
MaryGarter GOLD, Lawson, Other

"A ship is safe in the harbour but, that's not what ships are built for."

This story is amazing. Make it longer! I'd love to read more of it.

on Apr. 16 2016 at 10:16 pm
BeyondDreamsandGraveyards BRONZE, Savannah, Georgia

"All was well"

I actually think this has a lot of potential. I know this is just an idea that you had but what if you made the aliens have a conflict that influences a humans conflict? You know, sort of like playing doll's house but with serious consequences and it gives a lot of room to play around with character development and other life "big" questions. You can even mock them, if that's your thing.

on Oct. 17 2015 at 3:41 pm
ThrillQueen126 SILVER, Seattle, Washington

“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you. And then you have to put it back into the sky. And it's the most painful thing you'll ever have to do and that you've ever done. But what's yours is yours. Whether it’s up in the sky or here in your hands. And one day, it'll fall from the sky and hit you in the head real hard and that time, you won't have to put it back in the sky again.”
― C. JoyBell C.

It's kind of fun to think that I'm controlled by an alien. Whatever I do, it's not my fault!!!

hhhjjhh said...
on Oct. 6 2015 at 7:48 pm
hhhjjhh, Yuuuuuu, Massachusetts
This article made me laugh! I love your concept of how aliens decide the outcome of the world. This would be such an awesome, award-winning story idea. I can imagine the scene where the aliens are sitting at their computers, discussing their plans. I've added this article to my list of favorites!

Funne GOLD said...
on May. 10 2015 at 10:10 pm
Funne GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio

"I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams."

-H.P Lovecraft

Well, Its apparent that the decay of earth is eminent, so... We need to go to some other planet. NOW!!

on Dec. 8 2014 at 4:22 pm
dragon7781 BRONZE, New York City, New York

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum. -John Nada

Interesting. Reminds me of an episode on Unsealed: Alien Files show, where humanity is actually being controlled by an Alien computer. It also reminds me of the Matrix, only with aliens instead of machines. Overall, an interesting idea.

on Dec. 1 2014 at 5:33 pm
ashlynnnicole BRONZE, Bonneau, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This is interesting but cliche. Everyone talks about us being characters in books or dolls or a show for God- this isn't specifically original, just a twist on a widely exercised topic of thought that they decided to submit. By the way, check out my story please! Go on my account... the title is "I Am You". It is Science Fiction.

jimi211 said...
on Oct. 13 2014 at 10:52 am
jimi211, Las Vegas, Nevada
CarrieAnn13, you had a good concept going, but I think Molly,Jane was right, it is a little cheesy. To further add to it, though you did a good job at making the end morbid, by the climax I felt there still wasn't really any substance.

on Jul. 26 2014 at 11:57 am
Molly,Jane SILVER, West Granby, Connecticut

Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. ~Grandma Moses
A heartbreak is a blessing from god. It’s just a way of letting you realize he saved you from the wrong one. ~ Unknown

I actually think it's a little cheesy and there isn't really anything that is creative about it. Aliens is all well and good but people are interested in new and different ideas, they want to know what these aliens look like, or maybe a personal story about one of these aliens with it's struggles and how it handles it's human or how they make a special or different bond that is out of the ordinary. I like how you ended the short story with our having free will, but maybe you could have gone into more detail in how exactly that occured.The whole part about the world ending is something that everyone has heard before. IT isn't new and it doesn't grab the audience, but i think if you wanted to work on this some more or elongate it you could improve it.I just thought you'd want to have a true opinion.  Keep writing, with more practice you could really do well.

Critic said...
on Apr. 23 2014 at 1:56 pm
Critic, Hades, District Of Columbia

It is better to die as a god than to live as a human.

It's funny how easy it is to believe in the existence of ancient aliens who use the same technology (computer software programs) that we do and yet the presence of a god (or God) seems downright implausible. The key question that should be asked with this story is: "Which is worse, having free will or being manipulated like so many marionettes on a master string?" From the tone of your work and comments I feel like you would prefer a relaxed enslavement over laborous freedom.

Como5 said...
on Apr. 21 2014 at 12:38 pm
Como5, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay,it's not the end.

I like the idea. It's very interesting and it makes you think.

AriBow GOLD said...
on Mar. 25 2014 at 9:57 am
AriBow GOLD, Edina, Missouri

"find a place and call it home"

This was a good idea lol enjoyed it

on Mar. 23 2014 at 4:32 pm
L.N.1996 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

My brain is a wild jungle full of scary gibberish. I'm writing a letter, I can't write a letter, why can't I write a letter? I'm wearing a green dress, I wish I was wearing my blue dress, my blue dress is at the cleaners. The Germans wore gray, you wore blue, 'Casablanca' is such a good movie. Casablanca, the White House, Bush. Why don't I drive a hybrid car? I should really drive a hybrid car. I should really take my bicycle to work. Bicycle, unicycle, unitard. Hockey puck, rattlesnake, monkey, monkey, underpants!

This is so great! When I was little I use to think that we were dolls in some persons doll house and they controlled us. Great Story! 

on Feb. 10 2014 at 11:46 am
andilightning BRONZE, Gurnee, Illinois

"Oh, what fresh hell is this?"-Anonymous

Love it. Could have had more about the aliens, but I love the concept. Could you make a book out of this?

Funne GOLD said...
on Jan. 30 2014 at 6:39 pm
Funne GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio

-H.P Lovecraft

Does this take place in the present, or the future.

ilovekellie said...
on Jan. 13 2014 at 8:58 am
I thought the very similar idea these days so i just feel excited to read! The dialogue of aliens are very cute and funny. The last part "And so," to the end is more and more thoughtful part i think. You are so tallented!!

on Jan. 5 2014 at 8:37 pm
Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin

"Madness in great ones must not unwatched go" --Claudius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet

Quite an interesting idea, though not entirely new when you consider that the ancient Greeks and other civilizations would blame far off gods and spirits for their problems, as well as their successes. Still, a very interesting piece. Keep up the good work!

on Dec. 1 2013 at 2:26 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  I appreciate it. :)

on Dec. 1 2013 at 2:26 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

And thanks for commenting! :)

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!