Fairy Dance

Sometimes I go dancing with fairies.

They call to me in the middle of the night and a wild thrill comes to me. I leap out of bed and follow the song out my window with a smile on my face. Their music is enchanting me. I dash out into the night-- not flying yet, but I know I will soon. My dance across the grass is graceful and light, and I follow fireflies through the forest.

I laugh in the night, and all the woods laugh with me. My nightgown is now a flowing and beautiful fairy’s dress and it sparkles like the stars. I pause for a moment and hear the little elves whisper. They are waiting for the moment. Hush! Soon it is here.

My feet rise off the ground, lifted by the magic. I spin and twirl upwards, drawn to somewhere else. As I rush above the trees, the wind flies with me, and I know that I am nearer to the song. A crystal lake is beneath me; it shines in the moonlight and gleams. Over it I soar, until at last I find the fairy place.

The music is everywhere; it is beautiful and wondrous. I land among the flowers and gaze around with excitement. The fairies arrive and soon surround me. We dance. Around and around we are twirling under the stars and moon. The lake shines rather near, with flowers singing by my feet. I laugh and spin and sparkle.

Too soon it ends, and I must go home. I am tired and happy as I lay among the flowers to rest. Everything glows and the fairies kiss me goodbye. The song grows softer until it ends and all is still. Sparkles shimmer and disappear, the glowing quietly fades. I smile and close my eyes as everything grows dark.

I wake up in my own bed at sunrise, and I yawn softly before I stretch. Then I get out of bed and tiptoe to the window. A single sparkle winks at me and fades. A last, lovely note fills the air until it, too, fades at last and the day begins.

PixiePoetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I just adore this story.  I found it while looking for my own poem (it's actually called "Fairy Dance," too), and I'm glad I did.  I love the words "wild thrill" and the phrase "not flying yet, but I know I will soon."  So exciting!  Your words had me captured from the first sentence to the last.  Good job wrapping the whole thing up, too.  The only thing I could say is that it was a little to brief for me.  Personally... (more »)

AgnotTheOdd said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm:

The first paragraph was definitely enticing.  It was simple and effective.

Some things that people write are more descriptive than what you've written.  But!  What you've written shouldn't have any more description than it does.  As I was reading it in my head, all the images were right there, and it may be a fictional short story, but it was practically a poem.  The writing flowed smoothly, and even the verbs and adjective and all that jazz was more akin to a ... (more »)

musicispassion said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm:
beautiful imagery i saw it all in my head great story i liked it :P

CarrieAnn13 said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm:
Beautiful!  I love all the descriptions.  It's nice and simple. :)

writeamongthestars replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:37 pm :
Thanks! :)

ilovejuliansmith said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm:
i like the descriptions used in the story, it was very beautiful and even breath taking. i like your style:) i would sayy keep up the good work, and if you ever feel like commenting on my stuff, to check it out:) again, good job:)

writeamongthestars replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm :
Thank you! And I'll be sure to check out your work. :)

writer015 said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 7:40 am:
I liked the idea, but I think you could have done something differently. Just the same, I like the style you wrote it in.

writeamongthestars replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:19 am :
Thank you for commenting! :) Can you explain what it is I could have done differently? 

writer015 replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:29 am :
It really just little things. Like uh, using the same word really close together. Like I think you did that once with moment.
But honestly, I think its really good. There is only little stuff, so it shows that your even better at writing :)

writeamongthestars replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:07 pm :
Oh, yeah. Oops. I noticed I was doing that a little bit when I was writing and I fixed some of that later, but it looks like I didn't catch all of the repeated words. And I know there's some other little things. Thanks for pointing that out. And thanks for the compliment! :D

writer015 replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm :
Your quite welcome. Haha if you ever feel like giving it back to me, you can just comment on any of my writings :P

writeamongthestars replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 6:34 pm :
Yep, I'll check out your work. I always try to return the favor when people comment on my stuff. :)

writer015 replied...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 7:32 pm :
I do to. :) Thanks for the comment! :)

writeamongthestars replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm :
You're welcome.