The Dream Weaver

As the glowing ball of fire sank beyond the horizon, the whole world began to change. The pure blue sky turned a majestic color of purple, streaked through with fiery orange and yellow rays. The frogs ceased their croaking and the birds ceased their chirping. Time seemed to stop. Only the endless sky continued to change. The fantastic array of colors intensified in beauty. An artistic splash of hot pink there, a stripe of cheerful yellow there. Having reached the peak of it brilliance, the sky began to dim as the great sphere of light disappeared.

Softly, like a creeping shadow, darkness tiptoed into the world to take day’s place, little specks of light glittering on its cloak. On this night, as on all nights before, a certain man began to work. Somewhere, up in the sky, above the stars, an old, old man began to pluck threads from the wind: silver, sparkling threads, lighter than air. This was an old man indeed, with a thick, curling beard, whiter than snow. He wore a robe of the darkest midnight black, made from the night’s breath. His face was a wrinkled parchment, full of creases and lines. His eyes were a shocking, brilliant blue, brimming with memories long gone. This man was as old as lady time herself, and from the beginning of our world, he was known as Dream Weaver. With deft movements, his slender fingers wove the thread into a small cloud, no bigger than a child’s hand. The Dream Weaver looked at it with gentle eyes, and carefully tossed it earthward. Down below, a ragged beggar sighed in contentment, envisioning a lavish feast in his slumber. The man did not stop working; his fingers let down cloud after cloud, which drifted downward, sparkling and shining as a child’s first laugh. A lonely mother in a fitful sleep, smiled, as she dreamt of her son in her arms, come home at last. A little boy laughed in his sleep, once again playing with his long buried dog.

The man looked down at the fruit of his work with shining eyes, as he has done, and shall do every night. For as long as the Dream Weaver continues to live and do what he does best, humankind will keep dreaming.

mudpuppy said...
The tone of this piece has a soothing, calm voice. I like the image of the Dream Weaver. I also like how you refered to time as a female while most people would go for the cliche of "Father Time." Five stars.

Blue4 replied...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 8:12 am
Thank you very much!

consumedbygrace247 said...
I love the description of the dark and the kindly figure of the dream weaver, This may be my favorite.. ever. Wonderful

Blue4 replied...
Thank you very much!

MissBookWorm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What I adored about this piece was your rich description throughout- it really flooded my senses and just tingled my nerves with chills. Secondly, I also loved how the voice of this piece seemed to give the tone of a dream, which perfectly matched your theme. The only thing I would've wanted more of was a longer description of what the 'Dream Weaver' does for people at the end of the second paragraph, but otherwise, astounding piece of writing! :D 

Blue4 replied...
Aug. 18, 2011 at 7:57 am
Thank you very much. To be honest, I'm not sure how to elongate the description of what the Dream Weaver does; I didn't want to say bluntly, "He makes dreams" and I thought that another example would be redundant. Thank you, though, I wrote this a while ago, so this might be the time to revise it and add something.

Bagheera-Rose said...
Absolutely beautiful. The imagery here is sweet and everything about this article is just beautiful. Great job!

Blue4 replied...
Thank you!

Kbuschan said...
ohh wow that was beautiful! so much detail i could see a clear picture in my head. i love it :) and its going in my favoritess

Blue4 replied...
Yey! (That exclamation should never be written, only said :) Thanks!

writerfreak21231 said...
Aug. 13, 2011 at 11:44 am
ur totally welcome!!! :)(:

writerfreak21231 said...
oh. . . my. . . gosh. That was so beautifully writen it almost made me cry! u have such detail I cant even explain it with words! this piece of work deserves to be known! deserves to be in teeninks magazin!!!! I LOVED IT!!!! :)(: (I'm not kidding!!!)

Blue4 replied...
thank you!!! Your comment just made my day!!! :)

LilaW This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the way this was written. The idea is very creative! Good job. :)

Blue4 replied...
Aug. 5, 2011 at 10:56 am
Thank you very much!