Shape Shifter | Teen Ink

Shape Shifter

June 29, 2011
By killerkatstrikesback SILVER, Houston, Texas
killerkatstrikesback SILVER, Houston, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
lolwut?


CHAPTER ONE

“I hate you mom!” I scream and slam my door. She doesn’t understand me. She wants me to grow up and create the first flying car, or something and got to Yale. I don’t want to do that. I want to be average, and I am.
My name is Riley Heart. I’m going to be thirteen tomorrow, and I want a huge party but my mom says I need to study for the start of school… which is in 3 months. Its summer for Pete’s sake! Its 11:30 p.m. And I have decided I’m going to ask my dad if I can have a party at his house.
I stand in front of the mirror and stare at myself. Beautiful, long, blonde hair. Striking grey eyes. I’m a perfect vision of perfect, perfectness. Its only 15 minutes to midnight and my birthday. 15 minutes until I’m a teenager. Only 15 minutes to the party I’ll never have.
I look into the mirror one more time and admire my Louis Vitton outfit. My Coach flats that I always wear in the house after I take a shower from cheer practice. I want for a more comfortable saddle for my horse. I want for no sisters. I want for… a birthday party.
I scream at the top of my lungs and throw my study book at my mirror. It hits at incredible force like I have never had before, it breaks and falls to the ground in front of me.
I suddenly seem shorter. My senses have risen. I can smell thing on the other side of my room, I can hear my mom humming in the kitchen in the East wing of our Orange County mansion, and I hear our big father clock ring midnight.
I take a step forward, and that’s when I notice… I’m a tiger. I’m 13.