Fiat lux | Teen Ink

Fiat lux

By sfermi BRONZE, Agoura Hills, California
sfermi BRONZE, Agoura Hills, California

A mass of unimaginable density and energy swirled in total darkness, a shimmering bulb in the darkness that was its containment. In at was the power to make matter from energy, the power to create that of which has not been seen since the beginning of time. It had the power to make a new universe.

All of it was contained within a space that could fit billions of times over on the point of a needle, yet it was a new reality in itself. It was a defect in the smooth pattern of space and time, a particle that was a magnet with one pole—a magnetic monopole.

---
“That’s it, over there. Our scanners have simulated possible collision scenarios.” He said, with eager excitement. “We predict that it is quite unstable, and bombarding it with any particle will cause implosion.” He continued, his tone going higher.
“Ahem.” He feigned a cough.
“Your going to have to explain a lot more than that. Theory is theory, but our investments need more tangible proof, not just a possibility—solid proof.” The man sitting next to him, replied sternly. He was not as interested nor concerned with the experiment, and had little to no knowledge of quantum physics.
“Of course. We expect to have it operational very fast, within the hour. Our computers are in the process of inspecting the particle accelerator for any problems that could delay it.” He answered, somewhat warily. He had gone over it with the engineering team, personally witnessed the superconducting magnet installation, and was confident everything was in check. But still.
“I wouldn’t be worried about it, though. We personally observed the construction and can say that everything is placed in perfection.” He finished.
“Very well then.” The other man responded, pushing his glasses up. The computer station, about two floors above the ground floor (although this wasn’t exactly true, since they were about one kilometre underground) was dimly lit, and he could barely see.
“Call one two four eight—initializing superconducting magnets.” The computer replied, human-like but monotone. He heard a faint whirring sound.
“Pass.”
“Call one two four nine—proton synchrotron start-up check.”
“Pass.”
“Call one two five zero—proton emission chamber rebooting” the computer screen paused, turning bright blue. It was in a state of deep thought as its inner circuits processed the information it had received.
“Pass. Initiating primary proton 25 MeV emission test beam.”
The computer gave the order to its satellite located in a place that he did not know, and the process started. Lights above the particle accelerator glowed green, and after twenty seconds, the process was done.
“Pass.”
“Very well then…” he stopped, hesitantly. He wasn’t sure if to proceed, because he kept reminding himself: he had one chance. If it missed, or if the protons hit each other, it was gone. But, he decided to continue.
“Call one three three three—initiate magnetic monopole collision”
The computer stopped again, as it computed the directional data. It was equivalent to trying to hit an X on the moon from Earth—it had to be precise.
“Computing data… proton containment chamber firing in three…two…one.” With that, the screen went blank.
------
The lights inside the machine turned on, but the monopole stood still. It was a ball of energy, but bound by the laws of the universe in which it existed in.
Flashes of light, small but even so significant, spun in the machine, faster and faster, until light could barely surpass them. They blurred through the track in a microsecond, as they arrived at their target. Like catapulted boulders, each hit the monopole in succession, each time being absorbed by the monopole. But their efforts were not in vain; the particle started to implode, its electromagnetic repulsion slowly losing to its own immense gravity. And then, it exploded. The fireball shone with the intensity of a micro-supernova, sparks of energy flying all over. Infinity itself unraveled around the point of impact, an explosion of proportions not seen since the Big Bang.
The sparks, bound by space itself, ricocheted against each other, until they once again coalesced into a ball, and shrank. Gravity overcame electromagnetism, and pulled the point into a singularity. It struggled against its own weight, heating up, until it formed a singularity. It sunk itself into an abyss, pulling space and time intertwined with it.
To an outside observer it was nothing, for the space around it was distorted enough to block the viewing of any of its inner workings. But inside, it was spectacular. Quantum fluctuations dominated the singularity, the vacuum energy pulling the singularity apart once more. It exploded with its own space and time, it formed a new universe.
Inside, the majesty of creation began again. A fire of pure, concentrated energy dominated the new space, as quarks and leptons dominated in a soup of energy and matter. It was the Big Bang that had ignited so many universes before it, and many more that would come after it.
----
It was apparent to him that something special had happened. The screen danced, and particle paths never seen before now appeared all over the screen. Particles that shouldn’t exist passed by in flashing blazes, until being swallowed up by the abyss that soon followed.
“Incredible! The majesty of creation itself, imagine! God himself…” he stopped. “It is true! Quantum fluctuations really made our universe.” His tone indicated more than happiness, but true euphoria. He was He, he was what humans had been worshipping for so many centuries before him, and would worship for so many centuries to follow.
He was a God.

This used to be part of a larger encompassing novel, but I felt it would stand alone better on its own. I hope the readers will enjoy what philosophical and scientific questions that may arise from reading it.