Enigma

The boat rocked beside the shore as the sea became choppy. A lone woman stood on the bank watching the forest behind them. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she stared at the trees that were her life, her home. She wept to leave them. The hardened Captain felt a pang as he looked at the scene laid bare before him. He knew how hard it would be for her to leave, but he also knew if she did not go now, there would be no chance of escape. He’d give her a moment longer; to say goodbye.

A howl rose in the night air & with it came a chill that was not caused by the cold night air. The commander knew then that it was time.

“Milady, I know how hard this is, but, we MUST leave now.” He said touching her arm. She whirled to face him; her face laden with more sorrow than one person should have to bear.

“You do not know,” Her voice was not harsh, just sad, ancient, “I was here when the first star appeared in the first night sky. I was here when the first brook sang the first song. I have been here since the beginning. Why should I leave now in the end? When this realm passes out of memory, I should be here. I do not weep because I am leaving my home. No, I cry because I can not be here to hear the last sweet notes of a fading song or watch as the First Star falls and the world becomes cold and dark. I sob because I leave my world as I hear its dying cries.”