The Clocks | Teen Ink

The Clocks

By Jeff Gordon BRONZE, Dallas Center, Iowa
Jeff Gordon BRONZE, Dallas Center, Iowa

So there I was sitting in the computer lab, with Mr. Grout expecting me to right a story. Then was the miracle. The power went out. I was so excited; I didn’t have to write a story any more. At that time I didn’t notice but eventually everyone noticed the clocks were still on for some reason. How were the clocks working if there is no power, well we can get to that later. Since the power was out the teachers let us go home early. When I got home the first thing I noticed was that it wasn’t just the school’s power that went out it was the whole town. I put my bag on the floor and ran out the door. We played a game of basketball until it started to get dark out. Then we went inside and I noticed our clock was also working but the power was still out. At that point I started to get a little suspicious that something was going on. I went to the basement and dug an old battery powered radio out of a box. I turned it to a news station and said that this was a worldwide crisis. The power had gone out on the whole planet. I turned it off, and then went up to the dining room to eat dinner. We spent the whole time talking about the power outage. We finished dinner then all of my friends and I gathered to play a game of flash light tag. After about two hours we a left and went to sleep. I woke up the next day and school was cancelled because the power was still out. I just figured asteroids hit all of the satellites or something. But when I looked the clocks they were still working. I carried on my day as if it were the middle of summer. This routine went on for the rest of the week. On Saturday though when I woke up and all of our clocks were missing. Later that day I asked around and all of my friend’s clocks were also missing. This worried me, but that turned out to be the least of my problems. Everyday things got stranger and stranger from then on. On Sunday all of the batteries in the town disappeared. On Monday it became dangerous just to be outside. There were lots of looters and people started to rob houses. After a couple of days hardly anybody was still in the town. Lots of people had run away and hid in the country. On Friday morning I woke up and I had a sore throat. This wouldn’t be to bad on a normal day but we had no medicine it had all been stolen by looters and all of the stores were empty. So, I had to suffer. My sore throat lasted until I woke up Wednesday morning. That day I went outside and played football with some friends for most of the afternoon. But later that night, the ground started shaking wilding. At first I thought it was an earthquake, but then I realized that earthquakes couldn’t happen in Iowa. Maybe a little tiny shake from an earthquake In California or something but nothing this huge. My family and I ran out the door that’s when we saw the clocks. They had come to life and were destroying the city.

Chapter 1