Electricity | Teen Ink

Electricity

I stalked out of the bar, He wasn’t there. Ignoring the catcalls of the various men leaning against walls outside, I dodged there nasty hands that groped towards me. The street was full of people, waiting in lines for nightclubs. The thump of bass filled the night, mingling with the buzz of conversation.

The noise faded as I turned off the street, heading down an alley and onto an empty road. It was easier to walk than to take a cab, I only stayed a couple of blocks away. A violent gust of wind whipped my hair back, ruining a look that had taken an hour in front of the mirror to achieve. I shivered, feeling goosebumps crawl up my arms and legs. I hunched my shoulders, bracing myself against the wind.

I jumped as a loud crack ripped through the night. I looked up in horror, as the streetlights flickered and then died. Hugging my arms, I doubled my pace. The darkness gave me a bad feeling.
The hairs on the back of my neck prickled, as I heard something that made my stomach churn. I was being followed. I gulped. It was probably just some creep following from the club. I balled my hands into fists. I might be smaller and wearing heels, but he was probably wasted and I had the element of surprise. I breathed out and stopped in the middle of the street. Leaning down, I slipped off my shoes. The footsteps paused. I inhaled, pretended to be searching for something in my purse. Behind me I heard the soft sound of someone sneaking up beside me. I tensed, my muscles coiled ready to spring.
A figure to my right moved.
I attacked, sending a flurry of kicks and punches into the darkness. A cold laugh echoed in the street, I spun around.

“Annabelle. Annabelle. Annabelle.” The voice said, sounding eerily familiar. “Is that really how you greet family?”

In a flash, the night was once again filled with light. I snarled. In front of me stood my brother, “You are not family.” I spat.