Obsession | Teen Ink

Obsession

By JourneyOn SILVER, West Oneonta, New York
JourneyOn SILVER, West Oneonta, New York

Some scientists believe that we know a great deal of the coverts of our world. Krysteene Marley thought all of those scientists stupid as she stared into the beady red eyes of a monster.

Not one of the many science classes that Krysteene had sat through, taken notes in, and devoured every word that poured out of the professor’s mouth had even mentioned that there might possibly be other creatures in our universe. Every one of her instructors would call her insane for even thinking that there were creatures that existed outside of Earth. But, the hungry beast that drooled at the sight of Krysteene’s ample middle was defiantly not part of her imagination.
The spear like claws at the end of each slimy hand gleamed in the light of the monster’s eyes. Its ears were pointed at the tips and the nose only consisted of two small holes in the skull. The skin was leathery and brown, but one could hardly notice the color because of the green slime that covered the entire body. The back was stooped, and even so the creature stood over seven feet tall. It spoke with an eerie voice that reminded Krysteene of an echo bouncing over the walls of a deep cavern.
“Where is it?” It asked in a deep growl.
“Where is what?” Krysteene asked.
“You know what I want. Give it to me.” Krysteene knew that it was and order. She chose to ignore it. Although Krysteene was not positive about the object the monsters sought out she had a pretty good idea that it was contained in the little box that she had found that morning. While walking down Main Street earlier Krysteene had noticed that a stone in the sidewalk was pried up just a bit. The sun was at just the right angle to reveal a sparkle from below. After much effort the stone was removed and the shinny gold box that had slept for a long time in the secret crevice was Krysteene’s. Rushing home Krysteene stowed it in the drawer of her nightstand. Not two hours later the aliens had arrived.
Jumping out of closets, sewer pipes, and sink drains the monsters wrecked havoc on the small town. Krysteene had dodged the aliens for a while, but they eventually found her. With nowhere to go Krysteene had given in and allowed two of the rouges to bring her before their master. Now she stood face to face with the most grotesque one of them all.
“Where is it?” The monster tightened its grip on Krysteene’s throat; “I’ll kill you if you don’t tell.” The threat was real. Krysteene knew that much.
“It’s safe.” Krysteene promised, “Safe.” She repeated just to make sure that it was clear.
“It will never be safe until it is back in the ground where it belongs.” Bellowed the creature.
“I’ll bury it.” Krysteene promised, frantic that the monster would rip her head off her shoulders.
“Stupid human, only one of our kind can bury it. Only the king.” The beast released her but slapped her across the face, sending her sprawling across the floor.
The monster turned his back to Krysteene and walked to a chair bedecked with jewels and slime. After seating himself on the chair he smiled viciously at Krysteene’s helpless form.
“You will bring it to me, understood?” Krysteene nodded feebly. The beast bobbed its head and continued, “You have two hours, more than enough time, to bring it back. If you fail to return it in that time I will have one of my men dispose of you. Is that understood?” Again Krysteene nodded. “Then get out of my sight!”
Krysteene scrambled away. The cavern that she had been taken to was an endless maze of tunnels and crevices. Without a source of light and a lack of a guide Krysteene was helpless. She was forced to stumble blindly around in the darkness. For what seemed like hours Krysteene wandered from passageway to passageway, not quite sure where she would end up.
Krysteene’s legs faltered on the uneven ground. Finally she fell to the cold stone floor.
“Lord,” she raised her voice to the heavens, “help me to get out of this wretched place. Help me see the light. Please give me the strength to carry on. Amen.” Suddenly, a surge of power coursed through her veins. Her feet picked themselves up and she began moving. Some unseen force guided her through the maze, until Krysteene could see little shimmers of light bounce off the slimy walls.
“Thank you, Lord!” She shouted as she sprinted for the exit that drew nearer with every passing second.
Krysteene stepped out into the light and was bathed in the splendor of the sun. She leaned her head back and felt the warmth of the glorious rays warm the underside of her chin.
Krysteene suddenly remembered why she was there. Picking her way through the rubble of broken sidewalks and buildings that the monsters left in their wake during their frantic search for the little box, Krysteene sprinted toward her house. A quick glance at the clock tower told Krysteene that she had spent and hour and forty-five minutes wandering around the cave. She had only fifteen minutes to retrieve the box and return it to the creatures.
Krysteene quickened her pace. When she finally reached her house the familiarity of the old building overwhelmed her, but she did not stop her frantic dash through the front door. Racing up to her room she glanced at the clock hanging in the hall. She had two minutes until the dragoons came for her.
Krysteene scrambled over her bed and opened the drawer of her nightstand. Relief washed through her. It was still there. The golden box gleamed in the sunlight that filtered through the curtains above her bed. A smile played with the corners of her mouth. It was so beautiful. Why should she give it away? Why couldn’t she keep it?
An idea sprouted in Krysteene’s mind. She could take it away. She could run to Canada. Who cared that she lived in southern America. She could make it.
Tucking the box in her pocket Krysteene ran to the door. She flung it open and there stood one of the aliens.
“Time’s up!” It snarled. Krysteene backed up. The monster walked slowly toward the frightened girl. “Give it to me!” It roared. Krysteene shook her head. The box was hers now. It was precious to her. “I said give it to me!” Krysteene kept walking backward. “Perhaps you need persuasion.” The monster smiled wickedly. With a hand motion in the direction of the door another monster appeared. In its arms was a struggling human.
“Mom!” cried Krysteene. The monster that held her mother captive pulled a knife from his belt. It gleamed in the sunlight filtering through the curtains and the artificial light from the bulb above. The knife was pressed against the woman’s neck. Not enough to damage the artery, but enough to draw blood. Enough to cause a cry of pain to escape the quivering lips of the captive.
“Give me that box, and your mother will go free.” The monster growled. Krysteene reached into her pocket and pulled out the box. As she extended her arm to give it to the beast a few stray rays of sunlight hit it and the gold sparkled reviving in Krysteene the obsession with that box. She recoiled shaking her head.
“Fine.” The beast snarled. He motioned to the monster holding her mother. The knife sunk farther into the tender skin. Blood spewed from the wound. The monster that held the knife bent down and licked her mother’s neck, eagerly gulping down the warm liquid that oozed from the wound.
“This is your last chance.” The monster snarled. Krysteene knew that he was telling the truth. She looked at her mother and then at the box. Mother. Box. Mother. Box. Mother. Box…
Krysteene gave into the box’s temptation and gripped it tighter. She was willing to die for this treasure.
A voice inside her head whispered. “Don’t give in. Save your mother. Save a life. Don’t give in to temptation.”
Krysteene shook her head to clear it of the voice. The box was hers. What lay inside was hers. She looked again at the box. Its shimmer was fading. But Krysteene’s passion for it grew stronger at the thought of owning the precious box and what lay inside. Surely what lay inside was precious. Why else would these aliens come to get it? Why would they kill for it?
Krysteene shook her head. Let her mother die. What was in that box was better than a life.
“Very well then.” The monster sliced the knife across the tender skin and silenced her mother’s pleas for help. Licking the knife the beast dragged the corpse into the hallway and began devouring the treat.
“Give me the box.” The first beast said gliding closer to Krysteene, “Or I’ll kill you.” Krysteene wouldn’t budge. What lay inside the box was too precious to Krysteene to let threats stop her from claiming her prize.
Krysteene smiled and flipped open the lid, ready to grab what was inside. At the same time the monster drew its knife and plunged it into the heart of Krysteene.
Krysteene gasped for breath. As she drew her last breaths she looked down and saw what was in the box. Nothing. The box was empty.
“I died for nothing. I let my mother die for nothing.” Krysteene realized in anguish as her eyes rolled back in her skull and her body fell limp.
The monster snatched up the box and left Krysteene’s corpse to rot. The monster would not eat spoiled meat. And Krysteene was spoiled. A simple obsession had destroyed her. Spoiled her. Obsession was her ruin.

Thanks! I tried to show the stupidity of obsession and your feedback is extremely appriciated!

on Apr. 1 2011 at 6:13 am
Libra97 PLATINUM, Salem, Oregon
This was so great!  You really did capture the stupidity of obssession.  I was so angry at Krysteene!  I loved that the box was empty.  Amazing ending.

Nice job again. You portrayed the end result of obsession very well. 

Shaggyblitz123, Worcester, New York
This story was amazing...I could feel the pain and anguish!! The temptation and fear also. Your writing is amazing!!!

:) I was trying to capture the stupidness of obsessions. Thanks!!

liking2write said...
Excellent descriptions. I was on the edge of my seat, trying to understand what was important enough for her to sacrifice her mother. Makes sense - obsession. Illogical, greedy obsession. Deep insight!