Eternal Night | Teen Ink

Eternal Night

By SkyeandRein BRONZE, Moore, South Carolina
SkyeandRein BRONZE, Moore, South Carolina

"If something's too good to be true, shoot it just in case."

The rustling sound coming through the woods was getting closer. I could see nothing through the dense fog. I ran for what seemed like hours until I came to a cave. I walked closer to the cave, wary of how utterly silent it was. As soon as I stepped inside, the darkness swallowed me whole. I was suddenly falling down. I fell for so long, I lost track of time. I almost fell asleep, midair, when I was hit in the back of the head, and I blacked out.

When I woke up, I could feel the cold wind blowing, smell the maple leaves on the ground, and hear the bats flying through the sky, all before I opened my eyes. When I did open them, I took in all my surroundings. The woods were no longer around me but off to one side, and to my other side was a lake, black as the night sky, reflecting the full moon high in the sky.
I stepped up to the lake and found a strange sight awaiting me. Reflected back at me was a girl who was familiar and yet, she was a stranger. Her nose, cheekbones, and lips matched my own, but her skin was pale, like all the blood had drained from her face. And her eyes, which I almost suspected would be cerulean, were a deep shade of red. Those eyes looked so cold, and yet so warm to me.
Our shared gaze was broken when I saw a smile, showing tooth, creep onto her face. Her smile became wider, showing two, inch-long, fangs. I gasped, not because of her appearance but how she mirrored all of my movements. At that point, I realized this pale, fanged girl with red eyes, was me.
After what seemed like days of staring in bewilderment at the water, I sensed someone behind me. I whipped around to attack the unknown man, but he caught my wrists in one hand and held them above my head.
“Now, now,” he cooed into my ear, “that is no way to greet your father.” My father?! I had never had a father. My mother had raised me by herself until one year ago, when I ran away on my fifteenth birthday.
“I don’t have a father,” I growled.
“I may not have been your human father,” he said softly into my ear, “but I am your Eternal father.”
“E-eternal? What’s an ‘Eternal’?” I whispered, afraid of him after getting a better look. He was dressed in a suit that looked circa 1800s with lace and ribbons, showing high class. His hair was just above shoulder length with a red sheen on the black hair, like slowly cooling lava. His eyes were pools of fire, flashing brighter from time to time.
“I suppose ‘vampire’ is a better term for us,” he said, snapping me out of my trance, “You look beautiful with the moonlight shining off your raven hair and dark attire.”
I looked down to find myself also wearing a 1800s style, black gown, embroidered with gold lace in swirling designs. He had let go of me awhile ago and was now extending a gloved hand to me.
“Come, you must meet your brethren before the coronation,” he said with a regal tone.
“Coronation for what?” I asked. Now, I’m confused.
“You are being coronated as Princess of Eternals,” he stated, as if proud of me, “you are the Heir of the Eternal King.” He caressed my cheek and added, “Welcome to your new life, daughter. And, please, call me Father.”
“Thank you…Father,” I said, taking his hand and walking into the shadows.

I had to work off a prompt for this one: 'The rustling sound coming through the woods was getting closer.'

taylortexas BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio
Intriguging story. You may want to cut back on your "I" statements, especially at the beginning. It's very noticable if you overuse them. It was good though, you could definitely continue with it.