One Late Night...

One late night I was sitting on a bench waiting for the bus to come pick me up. It was a freezing February night, which only made the bench I was perched on that much of an ice box. The stop was isolated. The solitude of my person only broken when a straggler walked by to race home to their toasty apartment. If only my life were that easy. Instead I have to take the late night bus to get back to my rundown apartment all the way downtown. Unfortunately this is my only form of transportation apart from hitching a ride from some friendly stranger looking to do a good deed for that night.

Blowing hot air into my hands to warm them I notice an older man cross the street heading towards my bench. He’s wearing a snow cap and a heavy black jacket. The darkness of his clothing making his gray whiskers stand out. He sits down on the opposite side, hands in his lap, focusing like an eager school boy on the street light across the way. He turns in my direction, noticing me for the first time.

“Freezing night” he says, stating the obvious.

“It is. I feel like I’m spouting icicles over here.” I say.

“Waiting for the bus?” he asks me.

“Yeah, if it ever comes on time. I might just end up not going home. I have to be here again tomorrow anyway.” I answer.

“Work?” he asks as if interrogating me.

“Yeah. It helps me make the money I need to pay the rent on my apartment.”

“You’re young.” he says examining me. “You young people today always worry about everything. Where I’m from we don’t have to worry about much.”

“Wait. Don’t you mean ‘when I was young’ or ‘in my day’?” I ask but he was already getting up and crossing the street. I look down to where he was sitting. He left a ring. I pick it up and study it. It’s a silver thick band with a large ruby center. Probably worth a fortune. I could keep it and sell it. My rent might be caught up then. My conscience tells me not to. I decide to chase after him and hope I don’t miss my bus.

“Wait! Sir, you forgot something.” I yell, he turns down the alley and I begin to feel like I’m that stupid character in a horror movie. The audience screaming for me to run the other way. I finally reach the alley only he’s no where to be found. Instead, it’s almost as if I’ve stepped into an alternate universe. This is no regular alley, but a field. The temperature is no longer below freezing but it’s warm. The man is no where to be found but I’m not alone. There are circus performers all around me, from fire breathers to acrobats. There is only one question that remains: Where am I?

Megan.J.B said...
I would love to see this progress but from where this is now, there really isn't any story here and the twist at the end really isn't a twist just yet. For some reason, as odd as this sounds, I found this story predictable. Go figure. It was weird done in an over-done manner. I would like to you delve deeper into the man, the ring and the main character before exposing that "twist".

BrielleM replied...
I agree with this. Though I liked it...It was predictable. I would like to see this continued, or even a completely different piece of writing, because your writing is very good and enjoyable.

mudpuppy said...
This has an odd ending (which for me is great, because I like odd). ;) It sort of reminds me of an espidode of the Twilight Zone. Is there more? I would like to see what happens to the main character next.

Itami4Now said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 10:53 am
I'm not exactly sure where you were going with this. The writing was good, and the set up was amazing, but the resolution was just strange. Were you aiming for it to be strange? If so, you did a great job.

charmiypiggy said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 3:41 am
I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Your writing is good, with the exceptions of a couple punctuation mistakes. You didn't stray from the tense you were using, which is what people often do. The storyline is a little slow, and the part about the ring seemed a little cliche for some reason. Maybe it's just me. The last part was interesting, because that's where the twist was. But probably because it wasn't quite so otherworldly (circus performers in an alley just seems a little too believabl... (more »)