Planet To Planet | Teen Ink

Planet To Planet

By J.OwlYeah BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
J.OwlYeah BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

I would have never thought I would have fallen in love with one of her kind. After all, my kind were unlike hers. She was known as an alien. Though, she was different. Someone who did, in fact, understand me inside and out. She was my best friend. Her name was Ya’el. I met her when her kind came to live on my planet.

I was the first person to go up and talk to her. I remember like it was yesterday, it was a typical day in ninth grade. I was a popular football player and she was the new girl. There really was no need for me to go up and talk to her. Though, there was something about those eyes of hers. She was unlike any other person I have ever met. She had beautiful brown long hair, deep green eyes, and a smile to die for. As I began to approach her, she began to smile.
“Hi,” I said with doubt in my mind.
“Hi,” She said with that gorgeous smile on her face.
“My name is Emory, and yours?” I said with that nervous feeling knotting my stomach.
“Nice to meet you Emory, I’m Ya’el.”

It was from there on that I knew I was going to end up with this girl for the rest of my life. Ya’el was something else. When I began to talk to her, I couldn’t describe what I was feeling inside. My kind had no feelings, but somehow I had them all of a sudden. As soon as I could realize, I was with her every second of the day. She was my first official girlfriend, not a fling, to say the least. I could not fit in my head that I, Emory, had fallen in love with a so called, ‘alien.’ We shared our likes and our dislikes. Her family accepted me as if I were one of their own. It actually made me feel wanted for once in my life. For human the word family doesn’t exist anymore. Everyone is to preoccupied with their own lives, but her kind, family makes you, you. She made me experience what a family is really like. Many humans have now married many aliens, and I wanted to be like them. I had never loved anything, the way I loved Ya’el.

One day my life got shattered and broken into a million pieces. Ya’el and I had been dating for close to five years. It was our last year of high school and she told me the worst news I had ever heard.
“Emory, I have to talk to you about something really important.”
“What is it?”
“When my family and I moved to this planet, I made the decision prior before we moved…”
“Well what was the decision?”
“Education is very important to my people and well, I chose to go and study in my planet.”
“What!”
“Emory calm down! If I would have known I would have not made that decision. I had no clue that this civilization was going to be exact to ours. I didn’t know that you guys offered college. I didn’t know anything.”
“Well what are you trying to say?”
“As much as it hurts to say…”
“Just say it!”
“I have to end this relationship. My life has to continue. I know what we have is and will always be special. Let’s face it Emory, we will never work out. I miss my homeland and I want to go and live there again. Life here has been fun., it has been an adventure to say the least. Sorry Emory, life between you and I will never exist. I will admit I have reached a love for you, but I’m not in love with you. Any girl would be lucky to have you in her life.”

She simply picked up her purse and left. I never saw her again. I never wanted to see her again. She quickly changed the feeling I never experienced before into another feeling, hate. I felt rage, disgust, anger! I had never been done so wrong in my life, and from the person I loved the most.

Six years have passed and I still have that sickening feeling, I have never felt a more out of control rage for something else than this. She made my life hopeless. I was still the most suitable bachelor in my planet, but I felt like a monster. If she didn’t want me. Why would anyone else? I continued life as an environmentalist. I began to travel to other planets and notice the different types of climate and geographical changes.
“Emory!” called my boss Mrs. Rott
“Yes?”
“Listen, no one here has done a more exceptional job than you have, I want you to take a big task for us your peers and your planet.”
“Well, what is it?”
“I want you to visit the plant Venus. Everyone of those aliens say it looks just like Earth from the inside, and I want you to tell me if it is.”
“I don’t know what to say?”
“Say you’ll take the job. You deserve it.”

Before I knew it I was in a shuttle awaiting to go to Venus, which happened to be Ya’el’s planet. I wonder what she has done with her life? I wonder if she has found someone to spend the rest of her life with? If she still thought about me? Before I knew it I had arrived. Venus was identical to Earth, as if I had never left home. Suddenly to my surprise I felt a warm had touch my shoulder.
“Emory?” said a familiar voice.
“Mrs. Salgado?” Was this really Ya’el’s mom?
“Hi, there son. How are you? I didn’t know you were coming to Ya’el’s wedding?”
“Well you know, I do love Ya’el. She was my other half.”
“How sweet of you. She will be so thrilled to see you here.”
“Oh don’t tell her please. I want to surprise her. You know, what can be a better surprise than seeing your long lost friend?”
“Oh yes, son. That is true. I’m sure she will be thrilled. I’ll be glad to see you at the wedding.”
“Yes, me too. By the way, where is the reception? I happened to have lost my invitation on the way over here.”
“Oh really? Well here you go, I believe I have an extra invitation in my purse.”
“Thank you Mrs. Salgado.”
“Your welcome son.”

This was all a big surprise. Ya’el, the love of my life was getting married? I began to feel rage once again. I knew that this could not happen. Ya’el was mine and only mine. If I couldn’t have her, no one will. She was the only thing I loved. I knew she just had to love me back.

It was the day of the wedding. I got ready as if it were my own. I showered, got dressed, and put on my best cologne. She was going to fall in love with me today. Today was the day I had been waiting for. As I walked to the ceremony, I saw her. She looked even more beautiful than I remembered. She was wearing a long white dress that fit her body like a glove.
“The ceremony is this way young man.” An older man said.
“Ah, thank you.”

The bells rang, announcing the wedding was shortly to begin. I simply got up and made my way toward the door. I spied on her from the far end of the church. She looked amazing. When suddenly her mother entered the room.
“Ya’el! Ya’el! The ceremony has been lit with fire!”
“What do you mean on fire?”
“Everything is damaged! I bet it was your no good in laws. They never seemed people of good deeds! “
“Mom, how can you say that? We all worked very hard to make this wedding become a reality and you believe they burned it down? I can’t believe you! My whole wedding is ruined! How do you expect me to get married now? All our expenses gone to waste.”

That was when her eyes met mine. It was there where I knew she knew it was me.

on Feb. 10 2011 at 2:49 pm
Masterbdg701 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

"We do not inherit the land from our ancestors, but borrow it from our children" part of an Indian song. "You get more of what you want with a gun and a kind word then with just a kind word." Al Capone

i was a little since i did not know if the aliens were "aliens" or human settlers on another planet. plus the conversation at the end was confusing due to lack of emotion (did he already know she was getting married or did he just find out), but otherwise it was good.  

on Feb. 5 2011 at 11:03 pm
icefireinsanity BRONZE, Gaston, South Carolina

"I would rather aim for the moon and kiss the stars than sit on the cusp of nothing and watch my life pass by."

Good idea but the conversations felt awkward and I felt a little bit lost about who was who.

koolwords said...
on Feb. 5 2011 at 4:42 pm
koolwords, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"Unless you put your whole meaning into something, it's a waste." -Yvonne Tindelll

I liked your idea. The concept was very nice but next time just flesh is out and let it progress in a more natural way.