Outcast (Part 8) | Teen Ink

Outcast (Part 8)

January 25, 2011
By Madeline PLATINUM, Lake View Terrace, California
Madeline PLATINUM, Lake View Terrace, California
46 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you always see the positive, you'll never see the negative.


I stared at Singing Deer. I nearly laughed. The idea that someone would want me dead had not even crossed my mind. “What!”

“He knows who you are.”

“Who I am?”

“Dafar was right. You copy everything.”

“No, I don’t.”

“My lady—“

I held up my hand. “Only call me that in public. In private and around Dafar and Ixol you may call me Moonbeam.”

“Moonbeam. That is a very pretty name.”

“Thank you.”

“Dafar is posted outside the door, to protect you. The king wishes to have you killed. He knows you are a Moon Holder and knows the prophecy.”

“How do you know this?”

“When you are a servant, people act like you aren’t there, and you hear things. Dafar told me about the prophecy.”

I sat down on the bed. The tight corset was painful and I stood up again. “Can I take this off now?”

“Yes. I will set out you nightclothes.”

“Can I just wear one of my tunics?”

Singing Deer pulled them out of my bag. “We can have new ones made for you, if you wish.”

“That would be nice. I don’t really like wearing these gowns.”

Singing Deer smiled as she undid the corset. I took a deep breath and let it out again. It was good to breathe again. I pulled the rest of the dress and pulled a tunic over my head. I pulled the leggings on and put a belt on. I pulled my boots on next.

“Is there a place I can be alone, besides here?”

“You will never truly be alone, Moonbeam.”

I sat on the bed. “What do you mean?”

“Dafar and I will always be with you. And it is dangerous to leave your chamber at night.”

“I have to get out. I’m not used to staying still all night.”

Singing Deer opened the door. Dafar was still standing there. I followed her out and Dafar followed me. We passed several servants on the way to wherever we were going and they hastily moved past us. I guessed that they were all scared of me. We walked out into the cool night air. It was only a half-moon, but the garden was bright. I walked down the path to the alcove with the stone bench that Rider of Winds had led me to earlier. I sat down and looked around. Dafar was standing in the entrance to the alcove and Singing Deer was standing near me.

“Come sit down, Singing Deer.”

She sat beside me.

“I think that someone will be in my chambers when we go back.”

“What makes you so sure?”

“I don’t know. I just a strange thought.”

“I have heard of Moon Holders with foresight.”

“I don’t have foresight.” I stood.

Dafar turned around. “My lady, the prince is coming. Should I let him through?”

“Fine.” I didn’t really want to see anyone, but with it being the prince I should see him.

He walked into the alcove. “Moonbeam! You’re alright!” he said, with obvious relief.

“Of course I am. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“My grandfather wants you gone. He told me that he had seen you putting a several gold items into a bag earlier. I told him he was wrong. But that will not change his mind.”

“But why does he want me gone?”

“If I marry you, I will become king. I can change any laws he had written. He does not want that to happen.”

“So he’s going to try to have me killed.” I said.

Rider of Winds didn’t answer, but his eyes told me the answer.

“Do you ever have thoughts that are more like visions?”

“You mean foresight?”

I nodded.

“Yes.”

I frowned. Maybe I did, in fact, have foresight. I needed to talk to Ixol.

“I need to go back inside.” I said as I tried to get past Dafar.

He let me past and I ran up the path. I stumbled. Something I never did. The last thing I remember was hitting my head on the stone path.