Now I lay me down to sleep | Teen Ink

Now I lay me down to sleep

January 25, 2011
By kaitlynlee BRONZE, Lake Stevens, Washington
kaitlynlee BRONZE, Lake Stevens, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

`“Now I lay me down to sleep.”

The door appeared. The color was that of the sky on a beautiful clear day. The outline of the door looked as if the sun was trying to peek through. The handle was purely golden. There was a window on the door, towards the top with 4 boxes inside. But all you could see through it was whiteness. I touched the door and a shock went through my entire body, a good shock, like something great had just entered me. I reached for the handle, but before I touched it I noticed the warmth coming off of the circular door knob.

“I pray the Lord my soul to keep.”

As I walked through the door, I could see nothing but brightness. I stepped through the doorway and got an instant whiff of vanilla. My feet sunk into the ground almost as if I were jumping on the clouds. I heard a trumpet sounding in the background, then another one. I started to see some words as my eyes adjusted to the luminosity. I stepped closer to the words and read: ‘Golden Gate This Way.’ The sign pointed directly to a tall golden staircase. I began to walk up the steps, very slowly, enjoying the beautiful sunshine with every step. The stairs felt like they were never-ending. They went on and on around and around.

“May angels watch me through the night”

When I finally reached the top, there was an angel there to greet me. The angel was dressed in all white with gorgeous white wings. I’d only ever seen this in movies, but this was realer than ever. The angel spoke up and said ‘Welcome to Heaven, where all your dreams come true.’ The Golden Gate opened. I walked through the gate only to find more angels, angels with trumpets. Rows and rows of angels playing their trumpets. Near the end of the row of angels on my right side, I saw someone who looked familiar. I walked closer. ‘Is that you?’ I said to them. ‘It’s me’ They said in return. It was him and all my dreams had come true! This angel was none other than my grandpa.

“And wake me with the morning light.”