My Escape (Final Part 3) | Teen Ink

My Escape (Final Part 3)

By PlainJane GOLD, Notown, Wisconsin
PlainJane GOLD, Notown, Wisconsin

...understand that the heart is as vast and wide as the universe, but that we come to know love best from here, this place of gravity and stability, where our feet can still touch ground.

I held onto the straps of my backpack and jumped, landing on the tips of my toes.
I balanced myself, then, started walking nowhere particular, with my hands stretched out in front of me, reaching for a wall. My hands touched something cold and hard. I used that as my guide and started walking, again. I felt that I was walking in a circle, which I was until I fell sideways.
“Whoa,” I whispered. I got up off the floor and walked into the open space, touching one of the sides as a guide with my other hand stretched out in front of me. I kept walking until I felt something hard against my outstretched hand. The Meller Door!
I knocked once and waited. Someone on the other side knocked twice. I doubled that and knocked four times. I heard the classic click, clang, and creak and moved out of the way.
Standing there was Jared, a door guard, and a close friend. I walked in the door and had my breath taken away by the beauty of Meller. I am always in awe when I see this view, no matter how many times it is.
“Lana?” I turned around at the sound of my name. Jared had this shocked look on his face. He must not have recognized me when I entered through the door. “You’re back!” he exclaimed.
“Yes, I am,” I whispered. Jared, who was like a big brother to me, picked me up and hugged me, despite the fact that I was seventeen.
“Ugh!” I groaned because of his strength. “Put me down, Jared,” I whispered, through pain. He thought I was just joking around, and I wish I was, but I wasn’t. My breaths were starting to come more frequently. My adrenaline high was leaving me now, making my body realize how exhausted I was and how I could feel the strain of every muscle in my body.
“Ow,” I whispered, through reluctant lips. I knew it was the “magic” word because Jared put me back on the ground, like I was a tiny baby, and took in my appearance.
I didn’t want him to worry about me; the sound of pain just came out of my mouth, though I wanted to hold it in. I knew I looked awful: blood everywhere, and not just my blood; there was green blood, too.
“Lana!” Jared shouted with concern.
“I’m fine,” I replied. The world started to sway and I found nothing to hold on to, so I fell. And my world went black.
“Lana, Lana. Wake up, Lana,” a familiar voice whispered. I opened my eyes slowly, adjusting to the bright light. For a moment, I thought I was still strapped to the gurney in the alien spaceship. My eyes wandered and fell on Trish, my best friend.
“Jake, where’s Jake?” I asked.
“He’s fine, he’s fine,” she assured me. I sighed with relief.
I rested for two days, as prescribed by the Meller doctor. I saw Jake and it took all the pain away.
Maybe the world is not the safe place I wish it would be; but, as long as I have Jake and everyone else I love and who love me, I think it will be enough… for now. But nothing is ever going to stand in my way of protecting them.

Be sure you read Part 1 & 2 of this story! :)